Requiring Delivery?

Business By cakesbycathy Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 1:23am by FatAndHappy

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:00am
post #1 of 5

Does anyone require that tiered cakes MUST be delivered?
After a major disaster this weekend with a client picking up a 2 tiered cake I am now thinking I should do this.

Do you have problems with people that don't want to pay a delivery fee on top of what they've already spent for the cake?

4 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:01am
post #2 of 5

I do not neccesaily require it, but I price delivery into my quote and just tell them the quote includes delivery, no one has had a problem with it yet.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:05am
post #3 of 5

my tiered per serving pricing usually includes delivery. That way there is no argument.
I have had people pick up 2 tiers, and not a problem, but there is always that chance. But that was before I raised my prices and people weren't willing to pay for anything extra.
Now that I've raised my prices, I try and include delivery in those tiered cakes because you never know and I can imagine them saying "I know! It tipped right over when I ran into that mailbox, and do you know what she CHARGED me for that cake?!"
I dunno, that's just my thought. Don't give them an option, just build it in.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:14am
post #4 of 5

I insist on delivering cakes of two tiers or more.
I spend way to much time and energy to have someone not level a cake on the car seat, or slam on the brakes with a cake box that has not been seat belted into place.
I also set up the cake and snap a photo with background images from where the cake has been delivered. It's my proof that the cake was standing, and looked perfect when I left.
I've read too many horror stories here on cc.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:23am
post #5 of 5

We have a waiver people have to sign when they pick up 3D or tiered cakes. Basically it states they are responsibile for the cake when they leave our bakery. We have had people put a very tall 3 tiered cake on a front seat tilted, 3D cakes on someones lap bouncing all over, and people who want to turn the cake on its side to fit it into the trunk. You can not be responsibile for stupid people. Just because it doesn't look like cake - it is! We say we would be more han happy to fix it, however, they must pay for our time and materials, and travel time! They think twice about it now, the waiver really helped!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%