Daffodil Bunch Cake

Decorating By ashleyandben Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 1:54pm by mmmmmmmmcake1954

ashleyandben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyandben Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 8

Can someone tell me how to make the daffodil bunch/bouquet cake. i wanted to make it for mothers day but can't find a forum on it. i was going to cover the cake in buttercream. I'd prefer to not put stick or wires in it if possible. Also do you think I can make the stems and lowers out of modeling chocolate. I didnt want to use fondant or gumpaste.

These are some of my favorites from CC

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1993788
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1200886

7 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 8

Besides here, I would also suggest looking on YouTube for tutorials.

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:46am
post #3 of 8

I have never made this cake, but I have a few ideas.

I would create a dome of some sort to lay the flowers on. I would either try to make dome out of cake and then frost it as usual, or make a dome from melted sugar over a bowl, then cooled and frosted.

ashleyandben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyandben Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:29am
post #4 of 8

I lke the idea of the melted sugar bowl. never tried that, but sounds fun/

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 8

I am going to make two of these cakes for friends who have birthdays this coming weekend, I will be using fondant, but one idea I had which I am going to try out is instead of using an extruder to make the stalks I am going to split a drinking straw lengthways and use it to imprint the individual stalks into the fondant once it is on the cake - you might be able to do this with modelling chocolate or buttercream, worth a try. let me know how you get on with your cake. HTH icon_smile.gif

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmmmmmcake1954

I am going to make two of these cakes for friends who have birthdays this coming weekend, I will be using fondant, but one idea I had which I am going to try out is instead of using an extruder to make the stalks I am going to split a drinking straw lengthways and use it to imprint the individual stalks into the fondant once it is on the cake - you might be able to do this with modelling chocolate or buttercream, worth a try. let me know how you get on with your cake. HTH icon_smile.gif

love your idea of using a straw...only thing is you wouldnt have the variation of color in the stems.....gonna have to try that....

Showgirlrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Showgirlrita Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 8

I made this cake a couple of weeks ago for Daffodil day in Ireland. It took a lot of preparation. I made the fondant daffodils and coloured the fondant for the stalks in advance. I used an extruder however for the stalks (which still took ages) But for the main body of the cake i used 3 8" rounds & 1 dome on top baked in SS bowl and covered the whole think in lemon BC. In hindsight i would have trimmed the rounds more to look more slender & hopefully taller, the finished cake is in my photos.The "string & tag" are also fondant. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmmmmmcake1954

love your idea of using a straw...only thing is you wouldnt have the variation of color in the stems.....gonna have to try that....

I am going to try using some green and yellow petal dusts to get the colour variation on the stems icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%