Need Idea's For Wedding Cakes

Decorating By mom32008 Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 2:58am by mom32008

mom32008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom32008 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 9

Ok guys!!!!!! I'm trying to add to my portfolio!
what I want to do is make 1 wedding cake, and then decorate it in maybe 3 diffrent styles, insted of having to make multiple cakes. Does anyone have any great idea's of how or what i can do to decorate them.( I hope I'm making my self clear here)
Thanks for your help in advance!

8 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 9

If you can't find ideas on wedding cakes here in the CC galleries, I can't imagine where else you could. Although I guess Google images would be a good place as well.

mom32008 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 9

ok that isn't what I mean, of course there are many pictures of wedding cakes here in cc but I want to transform one cake into a few designs and I'm wondering if anyone has done this and if so what there idea's were!

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 9

You can also do a display cake one design on one side and another on the other. As long as ou are careful when you take the photo you can't tell what is on the back side. When we first started out we did a cake with a white background, then took off the decorations and used spray paint in a light color and decorated on top of then, then a darker color. Lots of layers when we finally took it off but we didn't waste all that fondant. Also the spray paint was cheap and no one was going to eat any of it.

Good luck and have fun!!

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 9

are you talking about having a cake with different designs on it at the same time separated by a border-type thing? wow...that is hard to put into words...kind of like the "half and half" cakes on here, just more like thirds?
half being this:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1856146

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 9

I think maybe she meant do a basic cake, take pictures, add some more decor, take pictures, then add even more to get 3 cakes out of one? At least that's how I understood it. I like the idea of the different sides though, then you could keep it that way and show clients different techniques, designs, etc, all with one dummy cake.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:09am
post #7 of 9

Yes, like that photo, but as if you were looking at the blue side only on one side, and the white on the other. If you took the photo straight on, you wouldn't see what was on the back. You wouldn't have to do one side white and one side another color. You could do the whole cake in white, with say scroll work on one side, and stripes/dots/circles on the other, or something like that. I was guessing you just needed photos for your book/practice. This 1/2 and 1/2 decorating is very fast and saves money. The spray paint lets you change colors quickly and cheaply too. Good Luck! Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:43am
post #8 of 9

Dear Mom,
I have just been tossing this idea around in my head too. I have a practice cake I want to work on this week and this was my thought:

Decorate the cake 3 or more ways.
I'm making a very small 2 or three tiered wedding cake. (I could photo shoot 2 tiers, before I place the third tip tier!)
Start with the basic cake stacked and iced.
Start with the cake with real simple decorations (I'm thinking buttercream)
Maybe start with a ribbon and some silk flowers? I'm cheap, and the dollar tree has some real pretty silk flowers.Maybe some fondant flowers?
Take photos.
Remove ribbon and silk or fondant flowers, touch up icing.
add some different detials;
Fondant? Beach stuff? More buttercream but simple borders to be used in a third photo shoot?
Remove above details trying to keep the cake as clean and neat as possible.
Go for the final sha-bang. Go all out! Add all the buttercream border details ect...

I think planning would be the key. I am finding planning sketches for cake keep me focused in the design and help me from wasting time. I think this would be a good idea in this instance. Have 3 or 4 planning ideas.

Okay, so this is just in theory, I haven't put it to practice, but I feel like it's a good idea and I'm gonna try it this week. Afterwards, everybody gets to eat cake! Yay!

mom32008 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:58am
post #9 of 9

Thanks guys those are some wonderful idea's!!!! They really have given me somethings to think about. I really love the effect of the 2 sided cake! But your right I think planing things out will be the key. wish me luck! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%