Wisdom Tooth Extraction

Lounge By TheCakerator Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 4:06pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 9

Last week on Monday I had an upper wisdom tooth extracted because it had a cavity in it. It was MUCH more painful then the lower wisdom tooth extraction I had done a few years back. I felt A LOT of pressure on my other upper teeth while the dentist was trying to get it out.

Now a week later my extraction site has healed up nicely but I have had constant pain in my surrounding teeth, even as far as 3-4 teeth down from where the extraction was done at. Saturday night was so bad I was actually crying in pain.

From what I have researched online, it is not uncommon for teeth to shift after an extraction like that and I assume that is what mine are doing. I have a follow up appointment tomorrow for the dentist to look everything over (called and made it today, explaining what was going on)

Yesterday I actually started feeling a little relief from the toothaches, and today I feel even better and I am hoping that I am on the mend to a full recovery, but just wanted to see if anyone else out there had any wisdom teeth extracted and then felt pain in the teeth near the extraction site?

I'm not sure if I just was super lucky in having the first extraction done with minimal pain and if this is "normal" or if something is seriously wrong with my other teeth now ...

8 replies
dchockeyguy Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 9

I had my upper two teeth removed many years ago. It was a blessing for me, honestly, as one of them turned out a bit and caused me to bite my cheek a lot. However, my dentist for some reason wouldn't do it, and I had to go to an oral surgeon.

It took mine longer than expected to stop bleeding, but I wasn't in a lot of pain, thankfully. My doctor gave I think Tylenol 3 with Codine, but I never took it. I'm not big on pills, and I have a high pain threshold anyway.

My teeth have done a little shifting since then, but nothing major. However, I didn't have any pain really after about 3 days, honestly. I think you'll be just fine in no time!

Herekittykitty Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 9

I had all four of mine out years ago and bounced back pretty quickly. However I just had 2 rounds of oral surgery in the last 4 months and after the second one (which had another extraction) my teeth hurt for about a week and a half. It's not unusual, particuarily if there was a lot of yanking due to strong/twisted roots or slightly impacted teeth. That's a lot of trauma for a sensitive, nerve laden area.

You will probably be just fine but it is a good idea to keep your appt, if only for your peice of mind.

Good luck!

TheCakerator Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you both for your replies. I was on vicodin for pain but really only needed it for the extraction for about a day and a half .. I do know that the roots were angled because it was a call on the dentists choice to do it, or send me somewhere else .. but he said he could do it, and it was cheaper for me there with no insurance ... There was A LOT of tugging and pressure going on .. I don't remember much because I was on vailium the night before and day of because of nerves, but I do remember the pressure .. oh gracious the pressure was so bad ..

I'm sure I will be ok .. I just need reassurance ... lots of it!

dchockeyguy Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 9

The worst thing about my extraction is that they came in early to give me the novacaine, because it was a special one that lasts a long time. However, it seems to take longer to kick in, so they shot me up and came back later. While I was waiting, I could hear a child wailing in pain the enter time. THAT was uncomfortable.

Funny thing was, the doctor came and apologized for it, and said they never even touched the child. As soon as they walked in wearing their white coats, he started to bawl. Poor kid.

TheCakerator Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 9

Poor kid indeed ... I have to say I'm not a fan of the dentist chair myself .. that's why I was on vailium and my DH had to walk me back to the chair .. counting my blessings that he stayed with me the whole time ..

Today my mouth is feeling the best it has since I had the extraction done .. I am still going to the dentist today, just for a check up .. I need to know that it is all ok, and all normal feelings ...

I can't believe I can feel my heart racing right now just thinking about going back there today ... I need to get a grip on this! icon_cry.gif

TheCakerator Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 9

ok .. explained everything to the dentist .. So thankful to have a dentist that is understanding of patients like me icon_lol.gif He checked over the extraction site, said he could barely tell a tooth had been pulled .. and said all the other things I had been feeling were normal as well ... teeth were probably shifting and I should be as good as new soon .. I am going to give myself a full three weeks (it has only been one) to feel 100% again and if at that time I'm not up to par, I'll go back .. but at least I have peace of mind .. for now!

Herekittykitty Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 9

Glad everything is as it should be. thumbs_up.gif I hear you on the dentist thing with a fear of the dentist AND being needlephobic it's a real treat when work is done (which is often - yeah bad genes) icon_mad.gif .

I went back 3 times after my first surgery becuase I didn't think everything was as it should be. It took everything I had not to bug the poor man after the second one. Had to keep telling myself, you've done this before, that's normal, give it another day or so. Gah! Thankfully the last of the sutures are removed this week and it will be over.

Here's to hoping you don't have to go back any time soon.

TheCakerator Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you, and right back at you! Hope this is the last of both of our dentist experiences for quite some time!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%