Fire Ring On Cake - Need Help/ideas Please

Decorating By CoveredInCake Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 10:18am by Jennifer353

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 2

Hey there! I have a friend who wants to put a ring of fire (Circus type hoop that things jump through) on a cake.
She wants actual fire. I'm thinking some sort of alcohol maybe in a tube or soemthing. It doesn't have to burn very long.

How do I do that?? Any ideas you can help with are so greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

1 reply
Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:18am
post #2 of 2

Do you want it standing up or lying down on the cake?
What about making a little non flammable hoop (probably best not metal so it doesnt heat up and melt the frosting underneath/burn the person who goes to lift it afterwards) and cut some matches down so there is only the head and a small piece of the wood and stick them into the hoop then light the matches (carefully!!) and you get a ring of fire. You would need to work out how far spaced out the matches can be to make it look like a continuous ring and how to light lots at the same time so the first ones havent gone out by the time you light the last one. Oh or would tiny candles work and they would burn slower than matches?
For the ring Im not sure what about just putting an extra little ring of cake (un-iced with some foil underneath?) on the top which you can then easily remove when the wood/wax has burned out? If you want it standing up I would think it would need to be metal or treated wood and just be careful when you are lifting it off afterwards, candles probably wouldnt work on a standing ring.

To go with your alcohol idea could you make a little (unjointed!) ring from aluminium foil and put super strong, preferably warm, alcohol into it. I dont know how hot the foil would get or if putting a little sponge or something in the alcohol would be better so there was not free liquid running around on the cake which could potentially spill

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%