Combing The Icing?

Decorating By Shanna Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 8:31pm by CWR41

Shanna Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 6

I am looking for some photos of cakes (iced in buttercream) in which the sides look as if they were "combed". I know there are tools out there to create this effect, but I'm just not certain what this technique is called. Any help is appreciated!


Shanna icon_smile.gif

5 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 6

My Pink/Brown sheet cake has combed sides.

I got the tool at La Sur Table.



KateLS Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 6

Wilton has a plastic tool at any roberts/joanns/michales store.

Alfiesmom Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 6

yes (Wilton tool) the triangle pastry scraper with each side have different width grooves. It is an Icing Comb or Icing Scraper

SammieB Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 6

Make sure you have a nice thick layer of buttercream or you will scrape down to your cake! I have the Wilton one and it works well enough.

CWR41 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 6
Originally Posted by Shanna

I'm just not certain what this technique is called.

The technique is called combing the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%