Lost My Desire To Cake :(

Decorating By birdlady9771 Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm by mplaidgirl2

birdlady9771 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 14

I just went though a "forced" move from NJ to MD for work and after getting here I don't have any desire to do cakes. I unpacked and organized my stuff and it felt like such a chore. The idea of doing something even simple for Easter feels like it's going to be hassle. I know it's only been a few weeks, but I hope it comes back - I have so much money invested.

I only do for friends & family, but still to have all this stuff and not to use it - UGH!

Thanks for listening.

13 replies
louanne Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 14

i went through a spell a little over a year ago, it will come back, especially once you get more settled after the move, we moved to a new house and mine was just getting use to being in my new element and getting into a cake groove in my new location!

cathyscakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 14

I absolutely love the planning of a cake, making the gumpaste flowers, figures, but the actual making of the cake is a hassle to me. I hate the mess, leveling,filling, the sides never match up, so I have to trim, very exhausting. I suppose if I were getting paid really well it would be worth the trouble.

ras3 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 14

I feel that way when I am making boatloads of frostings and fillings. In fact on EVERY single cake I make I have a moment where I feel like I never want to make a cake again. Of course, by the end I am always back to loving it.

Niki11784 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 14

Your cakes are beautiful! Don't give up yet, just take a break for a few months, and when you feel ready you'll pick up where you left off...

sweeteats0919 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 14

Welcome to Maryland!! I live in Aberdeen so I am not to far from you! I think I know why you were forced to move (if you have anything to do with the government that is). I hope that you find Maryland just as nice as NJ. I also hope that your desire to make cakes will come back. Hang in there. icon_smile.gif

birdlady9771 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 14

Yes, sweeteats you're right about why I moved. I hope things get back to normal once I settle in and am here awhile.

Thanks Niki & everyone.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 14

I find that my desire to makes cakes goes with my moods. If I am stressed about something, I don't think about cakes. If my house is a total mess and I can't find a space big enough to work on, I don't want to do cakes. If I have to search through alot of stuff to find tools, I don't want to do cakes.

Are you stressed or upset? Still trying to get use to a new house, new city, new state?

Don't totally give up yet. Take a break, hold on to your stuff, and see what happens. Maybe after things calm down you will find something you want to make in cake.

srkmilklady Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 14

birdlady9771, I completely understand how you're feeling, but for a different reason. I only make cakes for family and friends, so I don't do a lot. I was making cakes when my kids were small...thirty-something years ago (pre-fondant era) icon_eek.gif and then I stopped when we started an unrelated business. But I have grandchildren and a few years ago I got the "urge" back. I did a few cakes here and there and last year finally decided to do the Wilton courses which included FONDANT! I LOVE DOING FONDANT! I'm not great at it, but I love it. I buy a pre-made fondant from a local cake supply and it is very yummy, but fondant is fondant and people either like it or they don't.

Well, I was recently informed by a family member that I haven't had any cake requests lately because since I prefer to make fondant cakes and as much as they love the carved shape cakes I've made, nobody really wants a cake made with fondant. icon_redface.gif So now I feel so deflated about my hobby and I, like you, have all these supplies just sitting here and I am losing interest in doing any caking. I don't want to do just buttercream or just fondant, but a mix would be nice. But now I don't care if I even make a another cake again. icon_cry.gif

I do hope once you get settled in nicely in your new home that you get your desire back for caking. We should all be able to do what we love. icon_smile.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

birdlady9771, I completely understand how you're feeling, but for a different reason. I only make cakes for family and friends, so I don't do a lot. I was making cakes when my kids were small...thirty-something years ago (pre-fondant era) icon_eek.gif and then I stopped when we started an unrelated business. But I have grandchildren and a few years ago I got the "urge" back. I did a few cakes here and there and last year finally decided to do the Wilton courses which included FONDANT! I LOVE DOING FONDANT! I'm not great at it, but I love it. I buy a pre-made fondant from a local cake supply and it is very yummy, but fondant is fondant and people either like it or they don't.

Well, I was recently informed by a family member that I haven't had any cake requests lately because since I prefer to make fondant cakes and as much as they love the carved shape cakes I've made, nobody really wants a cake made with fondant. icon_redface.gif So now I feel so deflated about my hobby and I, like you, have all these supplies just sitting here and I am losing interest in doing any caking. I don't want to do just buttercream or just fondant, but a mix would be nice. But now I don't care if I even make a another cake again. icon_cry.gif

I do hope once you get settled in nicely in your new home that you get your desire back for caking. We should all be able to do what we love. icon_smile.gif

awww, that sucks I am not a fan of fondant, but as long as there is a thick layer of BC under it I dont see what the problem is. Just peel the fondant off and enjoy! It's ur family's lost, I am sure they will be back for more once they have to start paying for their own cakes again!

CakeCrystals Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlady9771

I just went though a "forced" move from NJ to MD for work and after getting here I don't have any desire to do cakes. I unpacked and organized my stuff and it felt like such a chore. The idea of doing something even simple for Easter feels like it's going to be hassle. I know it's only been a few weeks, but I hope it comes back - I have so much money invested.

I only do for friends & family, but still to have all this stuff and not to use it - UGH!

Thanks for listening.

I'm going through something similar right now, except that my current situation does not allow me to do cakes as much as want to. I have had several orders, but because of my current living conditions I am not able to. Just like me, I hope things get better for you and your desire for caking comes back soon. thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:50am
post #12 of 14

Welcome to Maryland. It really is a great state. One of our homes is on Kent Island, across the Bay Bridge from Annapolis. This is not the area of Maryland where I do business, but it has so much to offer.

airius Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 14

I usually feel this way if we are slam booked and have to stay up late to do stuff. I work a full time job and cakes are a full time job also with baking and decorating. Most of the time that I feel like this is because I need rest. When I'm like that, I could care less about doing another cake. But once I get that rest, I'm back into the swing of things. So it might be that you just need to get adjusted to the new living arrangement.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm
post #14 of 14

ITs funny. I hate making every cake I make. They when I get all the praise afterward I'm ready to jump into the next.
I mostly hate the baking and filling. I'm LOVE the decorating part
I need to find a partner that will do all the work I hate lol.

Its like getting tattooed. You don't remember how much it hurts until you get back in the chair

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%