Lost My Desire To Cake :(

Decorating By birdlady9771 Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm by mplaidgirl2

birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 14

I just went though a "forced" move from NJ to MD for work and after getting here I don't have any desire to do cakes. I unpacked and organized my stuff and it felt like such a chore. The idea of doing something even simple for Easter feels like it's going to be hassle. I know it's only been a few weeks, but I hope it comes back - I have so much money invested.

I only do for friends & family, but still to have all this stuff and not to use it - UGH!

Thanks for listening.

13 replies
louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 14

i went through a spell a little over a year ago, it will come back, especially once you get more settled after the move, we moved to a new house and mine was just getting use to being in my new element and getting into a cake groove in my new location!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 14

I absolutely love the planning of a cake, making the gumpaste flowers, figures, but the actual making of the cake is a hassle to me. I hate the mess, leveling,filling, the sides never match up, so I have to trim, very exhausting. I suppose if I were getting paid really well it would be worth the trouble.

ras3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ras3 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 14

I feel that way when I am making boatloads of frostings and fillings. In fact on EVERY single cake I make I have a moment where I feel like I never want to make a cake again. Of course, by the end I am always back to loving it.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 14

Your cakes are beautiful! Don't give up yet, just take a break for a few months, and when you feel ready you'll pick up where you left off...

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 14

Welcome to Maryland!! I live in Aberdeen so I am not to far from you! I think I know why you were forced to move (if you have anything to do with the government that is). I hope that you find Maryland just as nice as NJ. I also hope that your desire to make cakes will come back. Hang in there. icon_smile.gif

birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 14

Yes, sweeteats you're right about why I moved. I hope things get back to normal once I settle in and am here awhile.

Thanks Niki & everyone.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 14

I find that my desire to makes cakes goes with my moods. If I am stressed about something, I don't think about cakes. If my house is a total mess and I can't find a space big enough to work on, I don't want to do cakes. If I have to search through alot of stuff to find tools, I don't want to do cakes.

Are you stressed or upset? Still trying to get use to a new house, new city, new state?

Don't totally give up yet. Take a break, hold on to your stuff, and see what happens. Maybe after things calm down you will find something you want to make in cake.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 14

birdlady9771, I completely understand how you're feeling, but for a different reason. I only make cakes for family and friends, so I don't do a lot. I was making cakes when my kids were small...thirty-something years ago (pre-fondant era) icon_eek.gif and then I stopped when we started an unrelated business. But I have grandchildren and a few years ago I got the "urge" back. I did a few cakes here and there and last year finally decided to do the Wilton courses which included FONDANT! I LOVE DOING FONDANT! I'm not great at it, but I love it. I buy a pre-made fondant from a local cake supply and it is very yummy, but fondant is fondant and people either like it or they don't.

Well, I was recently informed by a family member that I haven't had any cake requests lately because since I prefer to make fondant cakes and as much as they love the carved shape cakes I've made, nobody really wants a cake made with fondant. icon_redface.gif So now I feel so deflated about my hobby and I, like you, have all these supplies just sitting here and I am losing interest in doing any caking. I don't want to do just buttercream or just fondant, but a mix would be nice. But now I don't care if I even make a another cake again. icon_cry.gif

I do hope once you get settled in nicely in your new home that you get your desire back for caking. We should all be able to do what we love. icon_smile.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

birdlady9771, I completely understand how you're feeling, but for a different reason. I only make cakes for family and friends, so I don't do a lot. I was making cakes when my kids were small...thirty-something years ago (pre-fondant era) icon_eek.gif and then I stopped when we started an unrelated business. But I have grandchildren and a few years ago I got the "urge" back. I did a few cakes here and there and last year finally decided to do the Wilton courses which included FONDANT! I LOVE DOING FONDANT! I'm not great at it, but I love it. I buy a pre-made fondant from a local cake supply and it is very yummy, but fondant is fondant and people either like it or they don't.

Well, I was recently informed by a family member that I haven't had any cake requests lately because since I prefer to make fondant cakes and as much as they love the carved shape cakes I've made, nobody really wants a cake made with fondant. icon_redface.gif So now I feel so deflated about my hobby and I, like you, have all these supplies just sitting here and I am losing interest in doing any caking. I don't want to do just buttercream or just fondant, but a mix would be nice. But now I don't care if I even make a another cake again. icon_cry.gif

I do hope once you get settled in nicely in your new home that you get your desire back for caking. We should all be able to do what we love. icon_smile.gif

awww, that sucks I am not a fan of fondant, but as long as there is a thick layer of BC under it I dont see what the problem is. Just peel the fondant off and enjoy! It's ur family's lost, I am sure they will be back for more once they have to start paying for their own cakes again!

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlady9771

I just went though a "forced" move from NJ to MD for work and after getting here I don't have any desire to do cakes. I unpacked and organized my stuff and it felt like such a chore. The idea of doing something even simple for Easter feels like it's going to be hassle. I know it's only been a few weeks, but I hope it comes back - I have so much money invested.

I only do for friends & family, but still to have all this stuff and not to use it - UGH!

Thanks for listening.

I'm going through something similar right now, except that my current situation does not allow me to do cakes as much as want to. I have had several orders, but because of my current living conditions I am not able to. Just like me, I hope things get better for you and your desire for caking comes back soon. thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:50am
post #12 of 14

Welcome to Maryland. It really is a great state. One of our homes is on Kent Island, across the Bay Bridge from Annapolis. This is not the area of Maryland where I do business, but it has so much to offer.

airius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airius Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 14

I usually feel this way if we are slam booked and have to stay up late to do stuff. I work a full time job and cakes are a full time job also with baking and decorating. Most of the time that I feel like this is because I need rest. When I'm like that, I could care less about doing another cake. But once I get that rest, I'm back into the swing of things. So it might be that you just need to get adjusted to the new living arrangement.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm
post #14 of 14

ITs funny. I hate making every cake I make. They when I get all the praise afterward I'm ready to jump into the next.
I mostly hate the baking and filling. I'm LOVE the decorating part
I need to find a partner that will do all the work I hate lol.

Its like getting tattooed. You don't remember how much it hurts until you get back in the chair

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%