Review - Babycakes Cake Pop Maker

Baking By FromScratchSF Updated 13 May 2012 , 1:40am by unctoothlady

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:30am
post #91 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

I tested my theory about using a scratch recipe to make the cake balls. At first, I used a doctored cake mix. Okay, but room for improvement. Look at these. They are perfect!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2004261

Goodness. They're so round. lol. I can't wait for those machines to arrive. So this is scratch cake? I only make those. Denser?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:43am
post #92 of 241

Hey guys for dipping chocolate...stock up on the Ghiradelli white and dark dipping chocolate bars they sell at Sam's Club around Christmas. I try to buy enough after Christmas (sale) to last the year (although I don't really make cake balls, just sayin'). They are 2.5 pound bars and they are really creamy, nice tasting melting chocolate.

imagenthatnj Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:47am
post #93 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Hey guys for dipping chocolate...stock up on the Ghiradelli white and dark dipping chocolate bars they sell at Sam's Club around Christmas. I try to buy enough after Christmas (sale) to last the year (although I don't really make cake balls, just sayin'). They are 2.5 pound bars and they are really creamy, nice tasting melting chocolate.

Thanks for the tip. But Christmas is so far away! I'll write it on my schedule. Do they sell it now too? I don't go to Sam's Club, but I'll try to find one.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:53am
post #94 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Thanks for the tip. But Christmas is so far away! I'll write it on my schedule. Do they sell it now too? I don't go to Sam's Club, but I'll try to find one.

Well, dunno know about your area, but it is available year round (it's made here). Check their website or I'm sure you can get it from Amazon.

Jen

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:20am
post #95 of 241

The web site says seasonal too. It is in the store starting in October and sells through Christmas. Correct me if I am wrong, but it states, "Double Chocolate Flavor". There is cocoa in it, but no cocoa butter. The ingredients do not list chocolate. I use it in some things, and the flavor is very good. I'm just not sure about it being real chocolate. The web site never refers to it as, "chocolate". I still have my $10.00 lb chocolate I claim as real.

FromScratchSF Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:19am
post #96 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

The web site says seasonal too. It is in the store starting in October and sells through Christmas. Correct me if I am wrong, but it states, "Double Chocolate Flavor". There is cocoa in it, but no cocoa butter. The ingredients do not list chocolate. I use it in some things, and the flavor is very good. I'm just not sure about it being real chocolate. The web site never refers to it as, "chocolate". I still have my $10.00 lb chocolate I claim as real.

Huh I could be wrong about it's availability but I could have swore I've seen some very recently at Ghiradelli Square Ice Cream.

I don't use Ghiradelli in my baking because of what you posted above (I am very loyal to E. Guittard or Green & Blacks) but I'm not above eating it if it's around. It's totally a guilty pleasure.

Jen

scp1127 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:48am
post #97 of 241

They say they stop production. There is a bar on amazon for sale for $15 total. Sam's has them for $6. I'm still torn about using it. It does contain cocoa. My real chocolate is DeFleuri's. They ship worldwide, but their little plant happens to be in my little WV town (not my primary market). The taste of their chocolate is very smooth. I don't like chocolate, but I like their's.

So how would you all market a chocolate with no cocoa butter?

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:39pm
post #98 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

I tested my theory about using a scratch recipe to make the cake balls. At first, I used a doctored cake mix. Okay, but room for improvement. Look at these. They are perfect!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2004261

Goodness. They're so round. lol. I can't wait for those machines to arrive. So this is scratch cake? I only make those. Denser?

My photo was removed by a moderator.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:37pm
post #99 of 241

Why would they remove your photo?? I would have liked to see how they turned out..

scp1127 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:52pm
post #100 of 241

I'm a witness for calicopurr. They were perfect!! Too bad about the picture.

imagenthatnj Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:59pm
post #101 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylibra

Why would they remove your photo?? I would have liked to see how they turned out..

Ugh...maybe because they were not decorated? Naked cake not allowed? That's the only thing that comes to mind.

They were gorgeous and totally round. Perfect cake balls. I guess we'll wait for the photo with the chocolate on top!

calicopurr Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 5:43pm
post #102 of 241
jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:05pm
post #103 of 241

calicopurr
they look great. i cant wait to make these. just a question. are the cakes in your pic the recipe from the box or your own?
thanks.

calicopurr Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:33pm
post #104 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade8

calicopurr
they look great. i cant wait to make these. just a question. are the cakes in your pic the recipe from the box or your own?
thanks.

They are from the recipe book that is included when you purchase the Cake pop appliance by Babycakes. There's a few recipes in the booklet. Thanks Jade.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 7:20pm
post #105 of 241

Go to kohls.com and they are on sale for $19.99 + free shipping over $75.00

lholybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lholybee Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:32am
post #106 of 241

they are on sale for $19.99 in the store as well.

luckylibra Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:41am
post #107 of 241

Ok, so I read this thread and just happened to get a card in the mail from Kohl's for $10 off a purchase so I went to Kohl's and got mine for $9.99...hee hee... I used my usual recipe and they did not brown as well on both sides.. turning them was difficult as they are really hot.. and you have to put more batter in than you would think basically filling the entire cavity.. but here they are
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2004975

Thanks for bringing this up so I would know to go try it. icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:45am
post #108 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylibra

Ok, so I read this thread and just happened to get a card in the mail from Kohl's for $10 off a purchase so I went to Kohl's and got mine for $9.99...hee hee... I used my usual recipe and they did not brown as well on both sides.. turning them was difficult as they are really hot.. and you have to put more batter in than you would think basically filling the entire cavity.. but here they are
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2004975

Thanks for bringing this up so I would know to go try it. icon_smile.gif

Do you have to turn them? I am planning on following the guidelines on the first page of this thread. I ordered the machines and I don't have them yet. But I thought you closed the cover after filling the cavities and they were done in about 4 minutes, with no turning?

FromScratchSF Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:51am
post #109 of 241

I don't turn them - they are slightly more brown on 1/2 of the ball, but when they cool they were just fine.

Jen

luckylibra Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:51am
post #110 of 241

It may be my cake recipe or something but the bottom side would brown much better than top, so I tried turning them.. I will play with it some more and maybe use a different recipe. I just couldn't wait to try it and went with what I had on hand. You do close the lid and it cooks from both sides but in my case the top did not brown as well. It was covered in chocolate anyway so no one would know.

gladysrdz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladysrdz24 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:45am
post #111 of 241

So even though I bought my machine last week I barely tried it today. So here goes in my two cents. First I used the recipe that is in the book for vanilla cake pops. I doubled the recipe because im crazy like that and I got a total about 80 cake pops. My first batch was under filled so one side was round and the other flat. So then I tried filling the cavity a bit more but I was just making a bigger mess and it was oozing out too much. So then lightbulb goes off in my head and I decide to put the batter in a piping bag and then I fill each cavity. And then voila perfect round balls and yummy too! The machine gets pretty hot so you have to be careful when opening it and taking out the balls. And yeah they do take about 4 to 5 min. No need to flip over machine. If the balls are not pretty even in color im pretty sure you have under filled the cavity. HTH YOU!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm
post #112 of 241

I finally got one last night! After reading that Luckylibra got one at Kohl's, I decided to try calling the Kohl's around here again. Had one store that had one. Asked them to hold it for me and I'd be right there. It was an hour ride round trip to get it, but I got it! DH was at first saying to wait, but when he found out that I could get it for $9.99, he said to go for it! So right now it's sitting in it's box on my counter. Haven't had the chance to try it yet and probably won't for a bit as my dad is in the hospital and I've been spending many days there. But at least I have it to try when I can! I'm anxious to, too.

imagenthatnj Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:03pm
post #113 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle

I finally got one last night! After reading that Luckylibra got one at Kohl's, I decided to try calling the Kohl's around here again. Had one store that had one. Asked them to hold it for me and I'd be right there. It was an hour ride round trip to get it, but I got it! DH was at first saying to wait, but when he found out that I could get it for $9.99, he said to go for it! So right now it's sitting in it's box on my counter. Haven't had the chance to try it yet and probably won't for a bit as my dad is in the hospital and I've been spending many days there. But at least I have it to try when I can! I'm anxious to, too.

Gerle, take it out of the box at least and check it. There has been some people who got returns and stuff was missing. Hope your dad gets better.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:40am
post #114 of 241

It sounds like it works like the doughnut maker I got several years ago when they were popular. I would love to have one even to make doughnut holes only w/my recipe.

imagenthatnj Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:54pm
post #115 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiecake

It sounds like it works like the doughnut maker I got several years ago when they were popular. I would love to have one even to make doughnut holes only w/my recipe.

They also have a doughnut maker, but of course you still have yours?

http://thebabycakesshop.com/products/all

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:43pm
post #116 of 241

Finally!!!! I just called our Kohl's they just received a shipment but only have 2 left! They are going to hold it for me icon_smile.gif yay, can't wait to try it out icon_razz.gif

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:45am
post #117 of 241

Our Kohl's didn't get any. They only have mini cupcake and whoopie pies.

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:05am
post #118 of 241

I can't believe I just heard of this!!! Mine is on the way from Kohls and I am soooo excited to try it! I hope it works as well as everyone says on this thread. Thanks for the tips!

creativecakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativecakemom Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:29pm
post #119 of 241

I bought 3 of the makers and I have to say I am really disappointed-they are very, very tiny and if you don't get the exact precise amount in each little well, they turn out lopsided and not completely round. I had such high hopes for these as so many people can't stand the density of cake pops but I just wish these could be a bit larger and there could be an easier way to get them out of the wells too. Total bummer. :*(

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:41pm
post #120 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecakemom

I bought 3 of the makers and I have to say I am really disappointed-they are very, very tiny and if you don't get the exact precise amount in each little well, they turn out lopsided and not completely round. I had such high hopes for these as so many people can't stand the density of cake pops but I just wish these could be a bit larger and there could be an easier way to get them out of the wells too. Total bummer. :*(

You can't do anything about the size.

As for the precise amount, yes, maybe you just have to get an exact measurement. I am going to follow up FromScratchSF's instructions on the first page.

These are calicopurr's cake balls. They are very round. You might have to do some testing to get them perfect.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6478399&l=e77ae9af88&id=520027551

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%