I'm not sure that this qualifies as a disaster but I could use some advice. I make the Cooks Illustrated white cake and it fell in the last few minutes of baking. I bake for 20 minutes and that was not nearly enough so put in longer in 5 minute increments and it fell. I need a cake for tomorrow and I'm afraid to use this recipe again but these are the ingredients I have on hand now. Any advice? did I open the oven too frequently at the end to test??? Any other recipes you would recommend?
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
6 egg whites, room temperature
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
1. set oven rack in the middle position. preheat oven to 350F. spray two nine inch cake pans with non stick spray. dust pans with flour.
2. whisk together milk, egg whites, and almond and vanilla extracts. set aside.
3. in a separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. add butter and mix until it forms coarse wet crumbs.
4. add all but 1/2 cup of the milk mixture and beat at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes. add remaining milk mixture and beat another 1 minute.
5. divide batter evenly among the two pans. smooth out the batter so it's even in the pan.
6. bake 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
To start with, 20 minutes isn't long enough to bake a cake. A nine " pan for me would proably take close to twice that, but I bake at 300 convection. 350 is too hot to bake cake.