Wedding Cake 3" Or 4 " Between Tiers?

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 11:39pm by Occther

jewels710 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 6

Do my fellow cakers separate tiers by 3" or 4" sizes when it comes to stacking sizes? For example...(6", 9", 12"...or 6", 10", 14").

I am trying to get some opinions on what others prefer or use when it comes to Wedding Cakes.

I was playing around stacking my pans last night and I think I liked the 3" better but am still on the fence.
Is there a reason for a 4" other than appearance, like for flowers, etc?

Thanks a bunch!

5 replies
leily Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 6

itall depends on the total number of servings i need and if the design requested would need one or the other. (or what the bride prefers)
There is no right or wrong

CWR41 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 6

I like a 2" difference most of the time for stacked tiers, and 4" for separated tiers.

jammjenks Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

itall depends on the total number of servings i need and if the design requested would need one or the other. (or what the bride prefers)
There is no right or wrong

Me too. It varies on a case-by-case basis.

I guess my preference would be the 3" difference, but most of my wedding cakes are 2" difference because of the bride's design choice and servings needed.

agouti Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 6

agreed, it depends on the cake. the wedding cake i'm doing this weekend is 2 inch difference - 6in, 8in, 10in.

Occther Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 6

Keep in mind that with a 2" difference, the cake will appear taller and skinnier. With a 4" difference, the cake looks more spread out and wider. Each difference in tier sizes gives off a different look. I have done cakes with 2" between the top and second tier and 6" between the bottom two tiers. There is no hard and fast rule.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%