Clean Cuts On Fon/gum

Decorating By yummy Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 11:42pm by yummy

yummy Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:30am
post #1 of 6

What's the secret to geting clean cuts (no rough or pulled edges) when cutting out shapes?

5 replies
sugarjones Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:02am
post #2 of 6

When I'm not using cutters, I use a very sharp exacto knife for the small stuff and then smooth the edges with my finger after they sit for a minute. For straight lines I bought a fisker wheel at Michael's. It's as sharp as an exacto and it doesn't leave frayed edges like a pasta cutter does.

sabre Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:08am
post #3 of 6

I turn the cutter upside down, then lay the gumpaste on top of the cutter and smooth the edges with a rolling pin or my fingers. That technique has improved my flower cutouts.

yummy Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks. I'm trying to hand cut silhouettes for the side of a cake. I need to know how thin am I suppose to roll out my fon/gum? How long to let it rest before cutting and, how should I be cutting to get a nice smooth, clean cut?

Elcee Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Thanks. I'm trying to hand cut silhouettes for the side of a cake. I need to know how thin am I suppose to roll out my fon/gum? How long to let it rest before cutting and, how should I be cutting to get a nice smooth, clean cut?

If it's for the side of a cake I'd use straight fondant and skip the gumpaste. Roll your fondant thin enough that it won't look bulky against your cake but just thick enough so it is opaque. Allow it to sit for just a minute or so before cutting. When you cut with your x-acto knife, press down and pull away instead of dragging the knife through the fondant. Trim afainn if necessary. It takes a bit longer but you'll get the nice clean cut you're looking for without stretching and distorting your shape. HTH!

yummy Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you Elcee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%