I Will Get Sniped, But......

Lounge By Annabakescakes Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 12:38am by costumeczar

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:43am
post #1 of 14

Here is another argument for having to go all "legal" with a separate kitchen. This weekend I had 3 cakes to do, I do them out of my home kitchen for friends and family, while we build out our garage for the business.

Anyway... I am about to crumb coat and my kid gets out of the shower and needs help detangling his hair (10 years old, he is growing it out to SELL online, lol! little capitalist, :proud: icon_lol.gif) So, I go over there and get 3/4 of the tangles out and notice some conditioner still in his hair in a glob and some dark specks in it....LICE!!! Full grown, adult lice! icon_eek.gif So i check my 3 other kids and DH and send DH to the drug store. I put up a tension rod in the door way to the kitchen and put up a plastic shower curtain and I have to shampoo 6 people, and nit comb 3. ( DH, the baby and I were safe but we still shampooed) DH is doing laundry, and vacuuming all the furniture... The only place to nit comb is over a hard floor, the dining room!! Ick! Did I mention this was at 11 at night? It was so late and so nasty... So scrubbed the dining room with bleach, showered at 4 in the morning and finished the cake, in the kitchen, curtain still up, at 6 am, pick up at 10.

I am confident that there was nothing gross in the cake, it is just a really sick thought....LICE!!! UGH!

13 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 14

OH you poor thing, I am sooooooooo sorry!!!

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 14

So sorry, to hear about that, but you need to notify the schools too. There might be an outbreak they don't know about yet.

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:18am
post #4 of 14

I home-school my kids, but we go to church, so I am sure they got it from either there, or at their dad's house. They have a sister over there who goes to daycare, and it seems like when my kids were in day-care they got it every few months or we got a letter saying they found it on other kids, and it was off to Wal-mart again for the shampoo...

I had to comb my kids' hair 3 times, just to make sure, and i saw another louse on my daughter's hair today. It goes all the way down to her waist, and my two little boys have hair past their shoulders. So my husband was off the get more lice shampoo and spray. This has already cost us $60.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 14

OH MAN icon_surprised.gif That is just the pits!!! I never had to deal with actual lice, but I worked in the school system and my students had them a couple times, so I made my kids wash their hair with the shampoo. Luckily we never had to go though what you are, I am so sorry!!! icon_sad.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 14

Yikes! I don't know how I got away with it, but my kids never got lice. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

But... What does that have to do with having a legal kitchen? Do bugs ask to see your license before they infest? Before you were aware of the infestation, you could very well have carried them into your kitchen on yourself. Or, one of your family members (or their infested friends) could have carried them into your kitchen.

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Yikes! I don't know how I got away with it, but my kids never got lice. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

But... What does that have to do with having a legal kitchen? Do bugs ask to see your license before they infest? Before you were aware of the infestation, you could very well have carried them into your kitchen on yourself. Or, one of your family members (or their infested friends) could have carried them into your kitchen.

I just mean I do cakes on my dining room table all the time, and that is where I put them to wait for their owners and that is where I nit combed my kids' hair. Not ideal. I wouldn't dream of nit combing in my bakery!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:45am
post #8 of 14

So sorry to hear about your experience icon_sad.gif

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 1:47am
post #9 of 14

You make a very good point. The odd time while doing a cake in my kitchen I think about what the client would think or this or that going on while thier cake is sitting on the counter. Oh how nice a caking only kitchen would be, someday, someday. Man I am hopig lice is something I don't ever have to deal with, but with 2 small kids and more to come, who knows right.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:51am
post #10 of 14

My daughter got them in her eyelashes. That was a horrible two hours picking them out. We finally had to get rid of the furniture to get rid of them for good. Don't forget to bag hair bows and stuffed animals and vacuum the car. Ugh!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 14

Did you have gumpaste figurines on the cake and did you check their hair too? icon_lol.gif

EEek though!! Poor you! We never had headlice as kids, ever, but I'm paranoid about my son bringing them home. I load his hair up with hair gel/spray etc. when he goes to school - lice don't like gunked up hair thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm
post #12 of 14

oh my gosh .. lice in eyelashes? That gave me goosebumps!!!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 14

time for hair cuts.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 12:38am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

time for hair cuts.

That's what I thought too! Buzz cuts, I'd say!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%