For Those Who Carve Shaped Slab Cakes....

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 4:15am by cheatize

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 5

I have a order for a 2D Flat carved Noddy cake..He is little boy character in a red car..Anyway she wants a full slab cake which is no problem but what is the best way to carve the entire car/noddy shape??

Any tips would be helpful..I enlarged the picture and put it in my projecter and made it as large as I can and it probably will work but is there a better way??

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

Laurel icon_wink.gif

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 5

Gee, Laurel, as I've said before, you're my guru when it comes to things like this, so I figure you're the one who has the solution to IT ALL! Since I spend a good deal of time figuring things like this out with the limited equipment I have on hand, your solution sounds like the goods to me. The only other thing that occurs to me is to print out the shape you want at a normal size and take it to a specialty copier place that will enlarge your drawing. You can put it through a couple of times if the first enlargement still isn't big enough. If I can, when I'm using a paper template, I have it laminated (like an ID card - they can usually do that at the copier place, too) so that it will hold up better, but I don't know what the size limit for this is. I wish you the best of luck! Let us see how it turns out, will you?

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 5

for really large carved 2d cakes (i haven't bothered to upload any, but i seem to do a lot) i use a paper template. what i do is open a picture of whatever i am making the cake of in photoshop/gimp, scale it to whatever size the cake is. so say...15x7. now that's bigger than printer paper...so then i cut the image in half and print in two pieces. print, cut excess, put on cake and carve. i use a knife and add dots where features/details go and so on.

If you need help making your template the proper size/cutting it down to two images/whatever PM me and I'll do it for you - takes a sec!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:04am
post #4 of 5

Ha! Ha! Thanks Marianna46 icon_wink.gif ...but I am certainly not perfect and quite often need a hand also...LOL..I don't usually carve slab cakes in shapes so I am kinda at a loss but I'll figure it out...I'm gonna see if Sugardugar can help out... thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:15am
post #5 of 5

I use Microsoft Publisher and create a poster in the size that will fit on the cake. I then tape the pages together, cut out the outline of the picture, and use it as a template. You can then cut out the separate pieces to use as templates for the inside pieces. If you need more info, PM me and I'll send you a link to my blog where I show how I do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%