Emergency Macaron Help?

Baking By Scubabe Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 12:09pm by Scubabe

Scubabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scubabe Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 4

Help!!! I thought my macarons were cooked (after 10 mins in the oven) and so took them out - they had lovely "feet" etc and all looked fabulous for my first ever attempt.

I let them cool for half an hour, and have just tried one, and it's undercooked inside icon_sad.gif

Do you think I could pop them back in the oven for 5 mins to see if I can finish them off? Or do you think they're ruined?

icon_sad.gif

Thanks in advance for any help

Ness

3 replies
Scubabe Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 4

Well, I figured I can't serve them as they are right now, so I'd have to chuck them anyway, so I'm giving it a go at popping them back in the oven, will report back later if it worked icon_sad.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 4

Are you sure they are undercooked and didn't need to cool completely?
The texture changes with the temperature. I've had ones that were stored in a refrigerator case and they tasted different and had a different texture when they were room temp.

Scubabe Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 4

Hi Linda, thanks for your reply. Nope, they were definitely cool, they'd had something like 37 mins out of the oven (and I'm in England, where it's cold, and it was about 7pm in the evening and under 10C outside). They were tacky and sticky and gooey inside - not like any Macaron I have ever tasted. I know they should be chewy/marshmallow-y inside but these were too wet.

I did pop them back in the oven for 5 mins longer and they collapsed, but the texture inside was perfect. So I think they just needed more time. Next time I will try 12 mins at 150C fan forced (yesterday I did 10 mins at 140C and it wasn't long enough).

I was pretty impressed with my first efforts, so I'll try again and see what happens tonight icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%