Can Someone Plz Explain...perfectly Curled Wire?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 3:35am by Ellie1985

Misdawn Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 13

How do you get those beautiful swirls and curls of wire I see coming out of cakes? I've tried everything I can think of and they always look bumpy and zig-zaggish! icon_cry.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.giftapedshut.gif

12 replies
DeniseNH Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 13

The key is in getting the right guage of wire then twisting it around something round like a container or a broomstick.

Misdawn Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 13

So what guage wire should you use? And If you twist it around something, wouldn't that give you a spiral or ringlet? How do you go from a small tight circle to progressively larger cirles?

Misdawn Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 13
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 13

Take a pair of pliers and clamp them on the end of your wire and then curl it to your desired place. It sounds easy enough, but if you're like me, it took a few tries before I finally got the knack of it. HTH!

Moondance Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 13

Lindy Smith (google her) uses things like rolling wire around reels of tape, cake boards, anything that gets the shape yu need. You have to use fairly sturdy wire to get the effect in the photos. Can't advise the size and the info is on my Lindy Smith cake jewellry DVD...not watching it at the moment but i am sure she does a little clip on You tube icon_smile.gif

avasmummy Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

How do you get those beautiful swirls and curls of wire I see coming out of cakes? I've tried everything I can think of and they always look bumpy and zig-zaggish! icon_cry.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.giftapedshut.gif

I make jewellery as a profitable hobby so i might be able to help. You want to use either 20, 18, or 16ga wire going down in number the more weight you need to support.

To shape the wire cut to a bit longer than required so maybe a 2-3ft length and warm the wire by holding one end and running you fingers along it a few times. Doing this prepares the wire and helps create smoother shapes.

one way of creating the swirl is to hold the wire in you hand with the length towards you, using your other hand support the wire with the index finger and apply pressure with the thumb on top and pull towards you turning your hand (thumbnail goes from facing ceiling - to you - to the floor ) smoothly as you go. you can move you other hand along if you want to work in smaller sections but be careful not to squish it out of shape.

another way is to wrap around a funnel or similar and once you have the size and shape right gently try to pull the spiral gently through to other way just enough so that the spiral sits flat.

if that makes no sense i will try and take some pics to explain better lol

Misdawn Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:13am
post #8 of 13

Actually I think that makes sense! I will have to try in the morning. I never thought of warming the wire first! Thanks so much!

Rocketstarmom Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:59am
post #9 of 13

Is it necessary to cover the end of the wire (the part that goes into the cake) with something? Is the wire used lead free, would you know?

avasmummy Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:33am
post #10 of 13

i personally think you shouldn't stick wire into the cake directly but into a decoration you can glue onto the cake or put the wire into a floral pick or straw.

Jewellery wire usually has a nylon coating over it but it can be easily be removed with scraping or rubbing so don't rely on that fact to protect the food.

Lindsram Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:55am
post #11 of 13

When first started I had a bad experience sticking wires straight into the cake. They kept falling and leaving tears in the fondant. I finally found out about straws. Wouldn't do it any other way. I just use small straws like the kind you get in an alcohol drink in a bar.

Rocketstarmom Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:15am
post #12 of 13

thanks for the advice! I'll put it to good use for sure.

Ellie1985 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:35am
post #13 of 13

At Micheal's Crafts they sell Duff's decorating products and they sell wires already in the shape in your example photos. There are 8 in a pack. I can't remember what they cost. I used a coupon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%