How Can I Preserve My Cake? Help!

Decorating By musikat Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 8:09pm by Marianna46

musikat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musikat Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 8

I made a birthday cake for my son, whose party is today. He just got sick. icon_sad.gif If I have to postpone the party until next weekend, how do I preserve the cake until then? It is a buttercream base, but has a 3D dinosaur on top that is covered in fondant. I have read you aren't supposed to freeze fondant, but how else can I keep it fresh for a week?

7 replies
sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 8

I haven't but I think you can freeze fondant. I think the trick is to put plastic wrap tight to the fondant so that catches condensation instead of your cake.

I'm sure someone that freezes more than me will confirm though!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 8

We did a cake covered in fondant with fondant roses that ended up not being used. It was wrapped and frozen and kept for several months, then used for a wedding. We weren't there, but we were told it was perfect and delicious.

musikat Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 8

What did you wrap it with? The dinosaur has fondant spikes so I am afraid to wrap it with anything that might break them. Could I gently cover the dinosaur with plastic wrap?

cownsj Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 8

They told us they wrapped it "very well" in plastic wrap. And none of the roses broke, so I'm sure that if you are careful, you can protect those spikes. btw, before going crazy with it, are you certain you have room in your freezer to fit the cake?

musikat Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 8

We have a deep freeze mostly empty. That is where I was going to put it.

cownsj Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by musikat

We have a deep freeze mostly empty. That is where I was going to put it.

I'm jealous...... icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 8

If you have enough space, box the cake and wrap the box tightly in plastic wrap before freezing it. When you thaw it, let it come to room temp before you unwrap it. That way the condensation won't damage the cake and your decorations won't be hurt, either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%