Crckly-Broken Looking Piped Bc Icing-Why??

Decorating By jenniemar Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 3:11pm by jenniemar

jenniemar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniemar Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 5

I piped a wedding cake yesterday with the same frosting I always use (okay I was way tired and maybe mixed it a bit different, but I don't think so) . When I piped it it didn't come out smooth from the tips.

The piped icing kind of "cracked a bit around all the edges but it looked lacy and pretty so I just went with it (the cake picture is in my photos). Why would my icing do this?

4 replies
LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 5

My only thought was...was it thinned out enough. The cake is absolutely beautiful though! Great job! icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 5

Maybe it had some air bubbles? I don't like to pipe with icing that's been in the bag for many hours or overnight because it develops too many air bubbles. I always pipe with freshly beaten icing.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 5

First of all, gorgeoussss cake.

Secondly...it does definitely sound like air bubbles. I think if I mix for too long this happens. If you were new to caking I'd wonder if you just weren't squeezing hard enough/moving your bag too fast but I doubt that. It probably needed to be thinned just a dab more!

jenniemar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniemar Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 5

yeah- it was thin enough-(I think) but I definitely beat the heck outta it because I was doing something else when I whipped it up! So maybe gazillions of tiny air bubbles.........

this is my 3rd wedding cake- so thanks for the compliments. I have another one in 2 weeks that will have all this piping too and I don't want the "lacy" look on it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%