Keeping Filling In The Middle

Decorating By looprevil Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 12:55am by ramie7224

looprevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
looprevil Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 10:49am
post #1 of 9

How do you keep a filling in the middle of a cake when you're cooking it?

The filling (usually jam or chocolate) always finds itself at the bottom after cooking despite it being put in the middle before cooking. thumbsdown.gif

Are there any tips to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 9

::confused::

Filling (jam or chocolate or anything else) is put on the cake after it's baked.

Bake cake.
Cool.
Turn out of pan.
level.
Torte if desired.
Stack - layer of cake, put on icing damn and put on filling, top with layer of cake.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 9

I'm confused as well! From what I'm reading you have been trying to put your filling in your cake before it's cooked, hoping it stays in the middle of the layers, is that correct? Or are you trying to make a pudding cake or something?

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 9

If you're talking about bundt-style cakes, I put the filling closer to the top and leave just enough batter to cover the filling. That way, it's much closer to the middle after turning it over when done than following the usual directions of half the batter, filling, rest of batter. Otherwise, I'm confused as to what you're asking, too.

Whimsygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whimsygirl Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 9

Here is my question: After I put the icing damn and filling in between layers, and cover the cake with fondant; regardless of the consistency of my icing; the weight of the top layer always makes the icing damn oozing out of place, I can see it like a ring forming between layers through the fondant. What am I doing wrong?

Also, what is the best way to shape the fondant around the cake or corners so I end up with a smooth finish? this is a tremendous challenge for me, as I always end up with ugly wrinkles around or on the bottom of my cakes? I have been doing cakes for a long time now, but this is an issue I have not been able to master.
Thank you!
Sary Ellis

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsygirl

Here is my question: After I put the icing damn and filling in between layers, and cover the cake with fondant; regardless of the consistency of my icing; the weight of the top layer always makes the icing damn oozing out of place, I can see it like a ring forming between layers through the fondant. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
Sary Ellis

You're not letting your cake settle. Try putting your top layer on and push down. Smooth the excess icing that may smoosh out and put your cake in the fridge to let the buttercream harden a bit. Then cover with fondant. I don't cover my cakes with fondant but I've never had a problem with the filling oozing out.

looprevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
looprevil Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:42am
post #8 of 9

Sorry if I haven't been clear. icon_redface.gif

I am referring to small cakes (fairy cake/bun size) where you have a filling in the middle that you find when you bite into it. The filling is therefore not visible when you look at it.

Same as the idea of jam in the centre of a doughnut.

When I buy such cakes from the shop the filling is in the middle. When they're home made the filling sinks to the bottom.

Hope that's clearer.

Is there a solution??

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:55am
post #9 of 9

I fill mine from the bottom with a piping bag using a wide tip. Just jab the tip in and fill until it gets a little heavy feeling? you can kind of tell when it's 'full'. Is this what you mean?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%