Cuisinart 7Qt

Decorating By texastj Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 7:25pm by texastj

texastj Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 10:11am
post #1 of 19

I just received my mixer and am very disappointed icon_cry.gif The very lowest speed and the fold are both too fast for my liking. I was making a cake and had the speed on level 1. When I added the dry ingredients.......OMG it was everywhere! Only thing I can compare the speed to is the Cuisnart low speed is very similar to the Kitchen Aid Artisan 4 speed. Could I possibly have a mixer with a defect or is the low speed really not very low? Should I have purchased a Kitchen Aid Pro instead? Please advise.

18 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 11:50am
post #2 of 19

There's something wrong with your mixer. I have the same one and mine doesn't do that. I love my Cuisinart WAY more than my 6 qt KA. Can you take it back to the store for another?

LindaF144a Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 19

Foxymamma521 - Where in WNY do you live?
I am looking for a 7 quart Cuisinart. The only place in my town that sells Cuisinart stand mixers only carries the 5.5 quart. I can easily order online, but if there is a place where I can touchy-feely before I buy I would like that.

foxymomma521 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 19

I live just south of Buffalo, but I bought mine refurbished online for about $200... sorry icon_sad.gif

Gerle Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 19

I have one and at it's lowest speed, it does NOT spew out anything. I'd take it back and get it replaced. That was one of the things that sold me on the Cuisinart over the KA -- it had a much lower low speed. I'm loving my Cuisinart!

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 19

I'm only a hobby baker but I have 3 of those and I can assure they don't go crazy like that. There's something wrong with that specific one. Could you exchange it?

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 19

Another thing. There's a video included. A chef makes lots of meals with it. Watch it so that you can see it in action and figure out if your unit is totally off.

costumeczar Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 19

That shouldn't happen, it sounds like somethng is wrong with your mixer. Defitiely return it and get another one.

costumeczar Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:40am
post #9 of 19

I did a video comparing the Cuisinart and the KA 6 quart...If you're rethinking the Cuisinart it might help. I didn't compare the motors, but the Cuisianrt definitely shouldn't start out that fast. I usually end up using the KA most of the time, but the Cuisinart has its positive points too.
http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2011/01/kitchenaid-6-quart-vs-cuisinart-7-quart.html

Chefperl Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:34am
post #10 of 19

I for my Cuisinart for the holidays. My hubby surprised me. I LOVE it. I have 3 kitchen aids as well all different models but "Arti" as i call it is the best. The speeds are perfect and I never have any non mixed stuff at the bottom of the bowl. OMG, I can't stop talking about it. My friends say I talk more about my mixer than my kids.

Gerle Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:39am
post #11 of 19

Costumeczar, I like your comparison, but there's a few things that you mentioned that I haven't experienced with my Cuisinart. As far as the timer...my timer has never cut off after 5 minutes. I've put buttercream in there and mixed it for 15 minutes without the mixer cutting off until the 15 minutes had elapsed. That's one of my favorite features of this mixer. And I had to chuckle when you mentioned the problem with the side of the mixer the controls are on. I'm left handed, so the KA is inconvenient for me, where the Cuisinart isn't. I don't have to put a spatula down to turn the Cuisinart off, whereas I do with the KA. Most things are made with the right handed person in mind, so was kind of surprised about where he controls were on the Cuisinart. And as far as the bowl, I don't find the size of it too much at all. I'm only 5' tall and have no problem getting to the bottom of the bowl an I don't find unmixed bits down there. But...I also purchased on the side one of those beaters with he rubber on the ends, so it really helps mix things up quite well. It was an additional $24, but I fee it was worth the cost. I hope you don't misunderstand my comments -- I am most certainly not knocking your review as it was very well presented, but just wanted to mention my experiences with some of the different features. I also have a KA pro 600 which I love, but wanted a bigger bowl, and the Cuisinart works better for me. My husband laughs as I often have both going at the same time. I love them both, but have features on my Cuisinart that I like better than my KA. And I want to thank you for making the comparison between the 2 as it is a help when trying to make purchase decisions. One difference I didn't hear you mention that bothers some people but doesn't bother me, is the noise. The Cuisinart is a bit louder than the KA. Not much, but a little bit.

LindaF144a Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:33am
post #12 of 19

I decided I am getting a cuisinart, and I might return the KA I just bought. I do not like the wide bowl. I had to get a beater blade because of the difficulty I have getting to the bottom of the KA bowl. I also am left handed, so the controls will be perfect for me.

I was on the fence, but after reading the comments here, I am going for it.

costumeczar Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:56am
post #13 of 19

Gerle, you're right, the timer doesn't cut off unless you set it! icon_wink.gif That shutdown feature only happens if the timer is being used and you walk away from it, I should go back and see what I said since it sounds like I wasn't clear. I hardly ever use the timer myself, I only mentioned it because the KA doesn't have one so it's a difference between the two.

I agree with the controls being more useful for left-handers, that would make sense, and I'd be willing to bet that the extra bowl-scraping attachment would solve the problem of things not getting totally mixed in. I'll add your comments on the video notes, thanks for pointing those things out!

texastj Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:56pm
post #14 of 19

OMG!!! I was not getting notifications for your responses. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your responses! I am in the process of returning it but am on the fence. Don't know if I should get a replacement or a Kitchen Aid Pro. I'm thinking to myself maybe this was a sign and that this is not the brand for me.

I did my research and felt as though the Cuisinart was the way to go, so I guess I'm just starting to doubt my decision. Idk.......

deah Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:13pm
post #15 of 19

I have the 5.5qt machine and love it. I just purchased the BeaterBlade (scraping blade) from Amazon last week and I'm not sold on it. It mixed by batter well but not my buttercream. I was making the SugarShack recipe and couldn't get my last pound of sugar to mix in. I put the original (factory) beater on and it mixed right in.

karabeal Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 19

I love my Cuisinart 7qt and I encourage you to "re-get" it. I've spent the last few days visiting my mother-in-law and using her KA Artisan 4.5 qt makes me feel like I'm "playing" at baking (like it's a Holly Hobby toy or something). It feels quite small and dainty. I recognize that her model is the low end of KAs and you're considering the high end of KAs, but I will tell you honestly that I one of the reasons I'm looking forward to returning home is so I can admire (and use, of course) my Cuisinart.

I'm interested in hearing more from those who have the Beater Blade for the Cuisinart 7qt. Any other comments? I don't ever have much trouble scraping or get much un-mixed ingredients at the bottom of the bowl, but I am naturally lazy so being able to forever skip bowl scraping entirely is appealing!

Gerle Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 8:13pm
post #18 of 19

As mentioned earlier, I have the beater blade and I don't have a problem with it. I'm not sure how I did it, but I was able to adjust the beater when I put it on and it works beautifully. I use it all the time with buttercream and have no problem getting my PS to mix in. But I also have the 7 qt, so don't know if that would make a difference or not. I'll have to look at mine and see how I adjusted it and let you know. I have one of the beater blades for my KA as well and love them both. I think you just got a lemon the first time, but I wouldn't not get another one. I really love my Cuisinart.

texastj Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:25pm
post #19 of 19

Thanx ladies for all your help!!! I requested another Cuisinart so I'll give it one more shot. I'm praying for safe handling and a safe delivery while in transit. Keeping my fingers crossed.........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%