Whoopie's Craze! New Thing Now!

Baking By cakemoss Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 10:22pm by cheriej

cakemoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemoss Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:33am
post #1 of 5

Just had an email to say that whoopies are the next big thing! Has anyone heard about them and if so I would like recipes for different flavours please.
I love the buzz on our Twitter community and the eclectic mix of inspiring discussion topics never ceases to amaze me, as we all move from design to sustainability and often further afield to legal issues, politics, business and then, inadvertently back to the more basic elements of a good life, beautiful things and delicious food. I had decided on a slightly predictable chocolate post last Friday, only to wake up today to a heated Whoopie Pie discussion. So, without further ado, Id like to hear your best recipe and Whoopie variations and leave you with a recipe that Ive blatantly stolen from The Loving Spoonful . I will also say Ive never tried one of these babies and was wondering if someone might consider sending a sample or two for research purposes?

Ingredients:
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup natural cocoa powder, such as Hersheys or Scharffen Berger (I prefer the latter)
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons fine salt
18 large marshmallows (not minis)

http://thelovingspoonful.net/recipe-box-making-whoopie-pies

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 8:27am
post #2 of 5

cakemoss, this one sure took a long time to cross the ocean!. Several of our states (Pennsylvania and Maine) have been feuding for years over where the whoopies started. I remember them from when I was a kid. I checked the internet and they can trace them to 1931. We have special pans in round and heart shapes, but a scoop will work just as well. I sell them in my bakery and everyone loves them. The most popular flavors are chocolate, red velvet, and pumpkin in my area. I would share some recipes but it is late tonight. I'll check in tomorrow.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 10:11am
post #3 of 5

I was surprised to see them seeling them in my local Morrisons last week. So I guess they must be getting more popular here. They had a chocolate one & a blueberry one. Perhaps you could try one of those for now, but I'm sure they're nothing compared to the real thing.

I also saw a recipe book just for Whoopies in Tesco the other week. Sorry can't remember the name.

So yes I would say they've finally arrived here icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 5

I have a cookbook addiction and I have the three latest ones. My favorite is Whoopie Pies, by Sarah Billingsly and Amy Treadwell.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 5

Starbucks is selling mini red velvet whoopie pies if you want to try one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%