Ganache Question

Decorating By VaBelle Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 1:04pm by VaBelle

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 8

I've never used ganache before, but want to try using it to cover my cake this week. My question is can I use it to create my dam for my filling?

7 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 8

You can but I usually use a buttercream....then chill until firm...then pour the ganache over top of the cake.

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 8

is the question about ganaching as a crumb coat, or as a final coat?

VaBelle Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 12:11am
post #4 of 8

Thanks Kitagirl. I hate to make a batch of buttercream just for the dam though I guess I could save the leftovers for the next cake.

Slsharratt - The question isn't so much about the crumbcoat or the final coat. I watched some videos posted by Cutiepiecupcakes last night and plan to follow those directions, but I'm going to be using a strawberry filling in between my layers an am just wondering if I can use the ganache as a dam or if I'm going to need to make up a batch of buttercream just to do so.

Staryberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staryberry Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 5:24am
post #5 of 8

Yes, you can use Ganache to make a dam. Ganache, when you first mix it, will be very liquidy. If you just want to pour it over the cake, this works well.

If you allow the ganache to set by refridgerating it, you can get it to a thickness similar to buttercream. Then, just pipe your dam like usual. If you refridgerate the ganache overnight, it will become hard and unworkable. All you need to go is bring it back to room temperature or a little above to work with it.

CakemummyCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemummyCC Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:04am
post #6 of 8

If you're making a batch of ganache to use (as per the tutorial) then just use that, you wouldn't need to make up buttercream just for the dam. I can't wait to try that tutorial too!

jessyummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessyummycakes Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 9:28am
post #7 of 8

Yep, just use the ganache. I wouldn't worry about butter cream... If you need the ganache softer just microwave it in 20 second bursts.

VaBelle Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks ladies! I'm excited to try this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%