Baking By soapy_hopie Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 6:16pm by TexasSugar

soapy_hopie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soapy_hopie Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 5

I need help!! The royal icing recipe that I have is:

3 level tablespoons of meringue powder
1 lb of icing sugar
5 -6 tablespoons lukewarm water

Place the icing sugar and meringue powder in a bowl. Stir or mix at low speed until blended. Add water and mix 7-10 minutes at low speed until icing loses its sheen. To prevent drying be sure to cover the bowl with a damp cloth while working with the icing. Store in a airtight container for up to two weeks. To reuse, beat on low speed to restore to original texture. Makes 3 cups.

When I have made this recipe it is really thick, so think that it will not come out of the piping bag. So I added a little bit of water to make it easier to come out of the bag. Then it is too runny and the flowers will not stand up so I added a little icing sugar and then we were back were we started. Ahhhhh!!! Any suggestions, what consistency should the royal icing be. Please help me.

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 12:04am
post #2 of 5

If you're using a hand-held mixer, you may need to beat it even longer to get it fluffy enough to pipe. Otherwise it can be too heavy to come out of the bag, just like you said. And if you're going to add any liquid, you have to add it drops at a time so that it doesn't get too thin all of a sudden.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 12:25am
post #3 of 5

I have always had great results with this recipe. Make sure you mix it with a paddle (not a whisk) for a full 10 minutes.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1983/antonia74-royal-icing

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 12:53am
post #4 of 5

It needs to be stiff consistency otherwise it will not hold its shape. If you do add any extra water only add a couple of drops at a time. Make sure you beat it on low with the paddle attachment for 10 minutes.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 5

Royal icing should never be so thick that it hurts your hands to pipe. And a softer icing should still be able to hold it's shape.

If you are using a hand mixer it is best to go 10 mins, sometimes you need to go longer. When mixing the royal icing you want it to lose alot of the shine and you want it to be able to hold peaks.

If the icing isn't mixed long enough it will appear/feel very thick, but won't hold it's shape.

You do need to be careful with adding water, because a little goes a long way. While the 5-6 tablespoons is a starting point sometime you do need a little more water. If the weather is very dry you may need more. If it is very humid, you may actually need less. It is a recipe that you sorta have to go by feel on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%