Swiss Meringue Bc

Baking By Kitagrl Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 11:50pm by blissfulbaker

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 10:54pm
post #31 of 46

3GCakes, Thanks for the heads up. We don't have Kroger here in the Chicago area (I used to live in Cincinnati and miss that store) but I will keep my eyes open for it in the refrigeration section. Are the liquid egg whites pasteurized? Once opened, how long do they last?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:12pm
post #32 of 46

I'm going to order this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EPOBYC/?tag=cakecentral-20

Its free shipping and you also get 15% off if you get it sent to you automatically every so often...I'm signing up for every 6 months in case I don't like it so I have time to cancel. haha.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:17pm
post #33 of 46

Oh...will the side of the dried egg whites have instructions how to reconstitute them for cooking with the sugar?

blissfulbaker Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm
post #34 of 46

At www.fondantsource.com I paid $10.50 plus tax and shipping for 8 oz of CK brand powdered egg whites, so you have a good price on Amazon.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm
post #35 of 46

One more question...so sorry!

The SMBC recipe I looked up (martha stewart) contains more butter than the one that was given me in this thread (The "well dressed" one)....does more butter make it more sturdy?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

So...is there a huge flavor difference in the two? IMBC does sound easier in a way...I dunno....

It's just the cooking method. I used to use SMBC but it failed on me more times than it worked. I tried IMBC and it has never failed on me; sometimes I cook the sugar syrup too long but that is easy to fix. I use the same recipe as posted above.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:20pm
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

One more question...so sorry!

The SMBC recipe I looked up (martha stewart) contains more butter than the one that was given me in this thread (The "well dressed" one)....does more butter make it more sturdy?

It's really flavor preference. You can add or subtract a stick or two from the recipes and it will turn out okay.

The more you add the more butter it tastes and acts like a stick of butter.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:22pm
post #38 of 46

I don't think that more butter makes it more sturdy. My thought is that more butter means a more buttery flavour. For me personally, it felt like I was eating a stick of butter whcn I first made an SMBC recipe. It had way more butter than the "Well dressed>>>" recipe.

The other recipe I plan on trying will be the one that FromScratchSF has on her blog. It's close to the well dressed recipe but varies slightly.

Really, it's all a personal taste. All you can do it make one and see if you liked it.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:23pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulbaker

At www.fondantsource.com I paid $10.50 plus tax and shipping for 8 oz of CK brand powdered egg whites, so you have a good price on Amazon.

Yeah I looked up www.fondantsource.com and looks like the Amazon was pretty good...and I can use it for royal icing too, right? That way I can save money from buying meringue powder while I'm at it....

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:25pm
post #40 of 46

I also use egg whites in a carton. already pasteurized so I just heat the egg whites and sugar until the sugar dissolves.. actually, in school, we used regular egg whites and still only cooked it until the sugar dissolved.

I use the Well Dressed recipe also.. and for my "regular" buttercream, I use a mix of SMBC and shortening/butter buttercream it doesn't crust and it firms up quickly in the cooler..

blissfulbaker Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:26pm
post #41 of 46

I have only made the Martha Stewart SMBC, In her cupcake book it show exactly what the icing will look like in each of the steps. I have never had any problems with either recipe. I do know if you start to add the butter before the meringue has cooled enough it will not set up. If this happens you are suppose to stop adding the butter and let it cool. It can be put in the fridge for a few minutes to cool. Also, if there is any grease or yolk, the meringue will not peak. Those are the two main problems with both of the meringue buttercream recipes.

@Kitagirl, I have used that brand of egg whites and there are instructions on the side of the can.

blissfulbaker Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:30pm
post #42 of 46

@Kitagirl, you can use powdered egg whites for everything that calls for meringue powder.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:37pm
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulbaker

@Kitagirl, you can use powdered egg whites for everything that calls for meringue powder.

Same measurements?

Sorry guys, jumping icing recipes is a big deal hahaha.

blissfulbaker Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:39pm
post #44 of 46

Yes, same measurements, so if a recipe calls for 3T of meringue powder, you then use 3T of powder egg whites.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:48pm
post #45 of 46

Thanks SO MUCH everyone!!!! Hopefully my egg whites come fast so I can try this on Tuesday...if it turns out good, I can stick it in some tasting boxes I have to make up for Wednesday.

Thanks again!

blissfulbaker Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:50pm
post #46 of 46

Best of luck Kitagirl, it was fun chatting about IMBC and SMBC with you today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%