Help Needed On Color Choices, Please

Decorating By CookieD-oh Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 9:58pm by CookieD-oh

CookieD-oh Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 4

Hello. In a moment of unbridled optimism, I volunteered to make a friend's wedding cake as my gift to her. The bride and groom have finally decided on a design (cascading ribbon roses) but now we're having an issue with the colors.

Wedding colors are apple red and ivory. Originally, the cake was to be ivory with apple red roses. That recently changed to both ivory and apple roses in the cascade. Fine, no problem. That evolved into ivory and apple roses and apple ribbon on the bottom of each tier. Again, no problem, but I'm having trouble deciding if the cake itself should remain ivory, or if it should be white now. Also, I kind of think I don't like the idea of the red ribbon combined with a cascade.

So, I guess I need opinions. White cake or ivory cake and ribbon or no ribbon? Any input will be greatly appreciated. (Oh, and the wedding is in two weeks.) Thanks!

3 replies
Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 4

I wouldn't do white cake....

http://www.sugarliciousonline.com/cakes/wedding/images/fullsize/red_and_ivory_roses.jpg

This cake looks fine. I think either color ribbon would look nice. But if you wanted to have less color, maybe wrap the cake in an ivory ribbon (ivory on ivory looks just fine!)

Here's a pretty one with a bit of piping and ivory on ivory ribbon:
http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/250/draft_lens3955182module26384002photo_1240384174red_and_ivory_rose_separated_wedding_cake_closeup.jpg

I actually do not think the apple ribbon would look bad either. If you go Ivory on Ivory cake and ribbon, you can probably put more apple roses on. If you add an apple ribbon, maybe mix the apple and ivory roses pretty evenly or even go a tad heavier on the ivory.... the greenery will also help break up the colors. i.e. in the first link, an apple ribbon would have looked just fine because the greenery separates out the roses anyway. But I do like the plain ivory.

But nah don't use white if their color is ivory.

cownsj Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 4

Well Kitagrl, I think you said it all. And that first cake looks to be perfect for what the couple wants.

CookieD-oh Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Kitagrl! I'll go with the ivory. I really wanted to do a pearl border, but the B&G thought it looked old-ladyish - LOL! I'll suggest the ivory ribbon alternative and let her make the final call. It is her cake, after all! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%