Modelling Chocolate Question

Baking By peanut2 Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 9:37pm by AngelFood4

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 26

The recipe I saw says to use 10 ounces of chocolate, and 3 ounces of corn syrup. Do they mean 10 ounces weight of chocolate and 10 ounces measured in a cup of corn syrup? Hope this question makes sense icon_biggrin.gif

25 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 26

Your question makes total sense.

But it would be good to know your source. Pastry chefs, especially people who make bread, weigh everything, including water!

This is the recipe I have, as you can see, she tells you about "3 ounces measured in a cup, or 4.5 ounces weighed".

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/

Hope you find out what yours would be. I think it's most likely measured?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Your question makes total sense.

But it would be good to know your source. Pastry chefs, especially people who make bread, weigh everything, including water!

This is the recipe I have, as you can see, she tells you about "3 ounces measured in a cup, or 4.5 ounces weighed".

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/

Hope you find out what yours would be. I think it's most likely measured?

This is a great site! Thanks!

imagenthatnj Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 26

You're welcome. Yes, very detailed instructions for everything.

This is her profile in CC in case you ever need to PM. I love her blog.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-639191.html

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 26

Thanks for sharing. This is a great site.

peanut2 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 26

Thanks so much! I have looked at so many sites, I can't remember. Some sites said 8 ounces of chocolate and some said 10. I think the syrup is probably measured, too. And thanks for that link, it's a great site!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 26

Weigh it all - 16oz chocolate to 4.5oz corn syrup = so much easier this way. And you can round it and say 1:4 corn syrup to chocolate for ease. Using a little more corn syrup makes a softer modeling chocolate while using less makes it harder (I prefer to use a little less for modeling with but it's a personal preference). Once you get working with it you'll find what works for you best and adjust as needed.

Candy melts are big, round wafers while chips are small and if you buy blocks they are solid and it's hard to actually measure this stuff consistently and I just find it easier and quicker to just weigh it - love my digital scale!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 26

I am glad I found this thread, I just made your white modeling chocolate and its resting as I type. I am going to mix it into my fondant about 30%, I am making scallops to go around the whole cake so I will need the fondant to be firmer. I will also be coloring the fondant/choc light blue. I'll probably have put the finished cake in the fridge...how does modeling chocolate do in the fridge? Thanks

Claireybear1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claireybear1121 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 26

Modeling chocolate is hands-down my favorite modeling substance to use!! Honestly though, I don't ever measure either the chocolate or the corn syrup. I pour corn syrup into melted chocolate until it looks like I've got about 3/4 chocolate and 1/4 syrup, and I mix. I've never, ever, had it come out poorly. Funny, as a scientist I measure EVERYTHING to within 100th sometimes 1,000th of a gram, but when cooking I have a hard time bringing myself to measure anything. icon_smile.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 26

My modeling chocolate wafers from Michael's is 14 oz. So, maybe that is the way she is using the weight...her packages may be 10 oz packages.

peanut2 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 26

One more question... how long does the modelling chocolate last after you make it? Can you make it ahead of time?

AngelFood4 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut2

One more question... how long does the modelling chocolate last after you make it? Can you make it ahead of time?

Months. I keep my wrapped up and sealed inside a zip lock back and then inside a plastic tub with a lid.

peanut2 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 26

Thanks!

divinecc Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:05pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

I am glad I found this thread, I just made your white modeling chocolate and its resting as I type. I am going to mix it into my fondant about 30%, I am making scallops to go around the whole cake so I will need the fondant to be firmer. I will also be coloring the fondant/choc light blue. I'll probably have put the finished cake in the fridge...how does modeling chocolate do in the fridge? Thanks

Anybody???

AngelFood4 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 26

Divinecc - I've never stored my modeling chocolate figurines in the fridge. I just keep the figures aside and add to the cake right before delivery - too much detail and too much of a risk to me - they're fine just kept aside, covered, away from sunlight and direct heat.

I did make 3 cakes covered in modeling chocolate that were stored in the fridge for about 5 hours and they did fine - they did get droplets of condensation on them when they were coming back down to room temperature but it all dried up (see my character head cakes) - they didn't have a lot of detail on them either so I think that's why they did ok.

divinecc Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 2:48pm
post #16 of 26

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. Your modeling chocolate figurines are seriously awesome icon_smile.gif I made the chocolate two days ago and last night I kneaded it together. My husband couldn't believe how it came together after seeing the broken pieces. It's so fun trying new things! I love your blog and have saved it in my favs. I am actually crumb coating the cake in ganache too, I found your blog a while back and have been using your tutorial. Thanks for being so helpful and willing to share your knowledge icon_biggrin.gif

Shelioni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelioni Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:28pm
post #17 of 26

Please can you help me.
I am living in Europe and corn syrup is not available so i used golden syrup instead. However the white chocolate turned a light brown colour.
Is there any other alternative to corn syrup that i can use that will not change the colour of the chocolate ??

Thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:54pm
post #18 of 26

You should use glucose syrup instead of golden syrup. It needs to be thinned down slighty so it gets to corn syrup consistency but I'm not sure of how much water to add. Maybe someone can post the amount?

Shelioni Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:08pm
post #19 of 26

Thanks Lisapeps

I will try this out. I also another alternative to corn syrup is simple sugar and water syrup. I will try both and see the outcome.

thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm
post #20 of 26

I read once in a marshmallow recipe that liquid glucose could substitute corn syrup measure for measure. Same amounts.

I've made fondant and have substituted glucose for the corn syrup in the same amount, too.

So maybe you should try the same amount and if that doesn't work you could start diluting it a little?

imagenthatnj Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:14pm
post #21 of 26

And this is from Chowhound.

Why buy it? Equal parts water/sugar. Bring to a boil, and stir until sugar has been dissolved. Put it into a container and refrigerate. I've had a bottle in the fridge for about 10 months, with no ill effects

Shelioni Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:33pm
post #22 of 26

Many thanks for your assistance. I will try it out and advise the results

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:52pm
post #23 of 26

So...am I reading this right? You use the modeling chocolate for figures and the ganache for covering the cake before you place fondant over it? I looked at your blog and appreciate all your great information.

susie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susie1 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:13pm
post #24 of 26

I also would like to thank imagenthatnj for the site. I've never worked with modeling chocolate but now I feel that must try it. Thanks

imagenthatnj Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:27pm
post #25 of 26

You're welcome, susie1.

Hopefully Angela comes back to answer lutie's question.

I read her blog, though, so yes, she uses modeling chocolate for figures, ganache for under the cake, swiss meringue buttercream, and she makes marshmallow fondant to cover the cakes (when she's not covering with swiss meringue buttercream).

And I want to try modeling chocolate too...all the theory is in my head, but no time yet to try anything!

AngelFood4 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:37pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

So...am I reading this right? You use the modeling chocolate for figures and the ganache for covering the cake before you place fondant over it? I looked at your blog and appreciate all your great information.

Yes, modeling chocolate for figures - It's easy to sculpt with and it hardens quickly (no downtime in waiting for the pieces to dry over a day or 2 before assembling).

Ganache to cover cakes with (although I do cover cakes with BC and IMBC as well) then MMF over that. Ganache has the consistency of peanut butter so you can spread it over a cake, smooth it out with a warm straight edge, let it set hard, then cover it over with the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%