Whats Your Favourite Filling?

Baking By lizzyb0601 Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 1:16am by SammieB

lizzyb0601 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 13

I am looking for new ideas for cake fillings.
I have used buttercreams and instant puddings/mousse, looking for something else. Anyone have anything to share? icon_smile.gif

12 replies
Sangriacupcake Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 13

Cookies & cream. Just add about 1/2 cup crushed Oreo cookies to about 2-3 cups of buttercream or cream cheese icing. Yummy! People go crazy over this. icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 13

Eggless cookie dough in chocolate cake. Irish cream mixed into the vanilla or white chocolate mouse, strawberry cream (1 stick butter, 1 10 oz seedless strawberry jam and powdered sugar to taste)

mamabaer Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 13

Sangriacupcake is right, the cookies and cream is awesome, however I add cool whip to lighten mine up. Let me just say that you wouldn't think the cool whip would make a difference, but it is amazing!!! I want to snarf it up right from
the bowl!

Sangriacupcake Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabaer

Sangriacupcake is right, the cookies and cream is awesome, however I add cool whip to lighten mine up. Let me just say that you wouldn't think the cool whip would make a difference, but it is amazing!!! I want to snarf it up right from
the bowl!

I've never tried it that way. Thanks for the tip!

SammieB Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 13

I've been making a filling lately that tastes like what's in the middle of a Hostess cupcake or a Twinkie. I absolutely love it! I actually had planned on taking some oreos and crushing them up and mixing it together for my cousin's dinosaur cake next week. I'm super excited about it. It does take at least a day for the filling to cure to get the best flavor, so I usually fill a day before I cover, and cover a day before the event. Super delicious, and not at all healthy. icon_smile.gif

tamdan Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 13

Anybody have a good recipe for a fruit filling? Maybe with fresh strawberries?

lizzyb0601 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Eggless cookie dough in chocolate cake. Irish cream mixed into the vanilla or white chocolate mouse, strawberry cream (1 stick butter, 1 10 oz seedless strawberry jam and powdered sugar to taste)

Care to share the recipe for the eggless cookie dough... that sounds awesome.

chrisviz Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:30am
post #9 of 13

MMMMM! SammieB, sounds delish! Care to share how you make your hostess-esque filling?

Kristie925 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:49am
post #10 of 13

Ohhh, thanks for the ideas ladies! I've always stuck with buttercream or the sleeve fillings, but I wanted to do some impressive stuff for my sister's wedding cake in a couple weeks! I love the cookies and cream idea and the cookie dough idea. I assume any ole' cookie dough recipe will work, just omit the eggs?

thebrat68 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:10am
post #11 of 13

Because Buttercream is so sweet I wanted to try somthing to counter it a little... So I made a dark chocolate (60%) ganache let it cool then just whipped it and spread it between my 2 layers... It was so good all the girls love it and no one left any buttercream on the side of their plates...lol

chefjess819 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:13am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabaer

the bowl!

they actually sell something like this in the deli at my local walmart. they call it cookies and cream fluff. i literally have to yank the bowl away from my husband to keep him from eating it all in one sitting. lol
anyhoo...i made a peanut butter filling just last week. i mixed creamy peanut butter with jar marshmallow fluff and a little vanilla. it was AMAZING!!!!!

SammieB Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:16am
post #13 of 13

Sure thing! It's pretty easy.

Whisk together 1c. milk and 5 Tbsp. flour, and put in a saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium-low heat, and stir until very thick. It will not be liquid, it will be more solid. Once it's completely cooled, bust out the hand mixer with a whisk attachment if you've got it. If not, regular beaters will work. Beat it about 3-4 minutes, or until it is very smooth and light. Add 1 cup white sugar + 1/2 tsp salt and beat again for a couple of minutes. The sugar will dissolve. Add 1/2 cup shortening, mix again. Add 1/2 cup softened butter and mix again. Finally add 1 tsp. vanilla and mix one last time. It really makes a difference beating for a couple of minutes after each addition.

You want to get it on the cake within a few hours before it turns into a fluffy whipped like mess. It's easiest to go ahead and spread it right after mixing. I typically do it a couple of days in advance, and cover my cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 day before icing and decorating. It tastes good right when it's made, but give it 48 hours and it is fantastic!

My only suggestion is do not try to do it with all shortening. It comes across way too greasy. Have fun with it though! This should make enough to fill and cover 2 9" rounds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%