Shiny Fondant

Decorating By cupcakelizardsandrockets Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 9:31pm by KarenOR

cupcakelizardsandrockets Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:23am
post #1 of 8

i am going to be making a tiffany box cake and want the bow to look satin i saw them use steam on cake boss but i obviously dont have a machine like they do how would you go about doing it then?

7 replies
yanci Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:29am
post #2 of 8

You can also give fondant shine by spraying it with Pam, rubbing vegetable shortening or brushing it with Vodka.

mimi1218 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:35am
post #3 of 8

Luster dust mixed with vodka and painted on will give it the satiny look too. it adds the shine and a little sparkle.

gildee Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:49am
post #4 of 8

You can also place fondant over a steaming pot of water; this obviously will not work for a cake layer but I am also thinking using one of those steamers from the local Bed Bath and Beyond or Walmart will work, the steam is what your after.

SammieB Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:12am
post #5 of 8

I saw someone say the other day that you could it very carefully with an iron on the steam setting. I did it on my last cake, and I was too chicken to go crazy, but it did give it a nice sheen. It wasn't glossy, though I probably could've gotten it that way on the top at least. The sides would be a bit more difficult without a good iron.

cake-fam Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:11am
post #6 of 8

I heard of people using a blow dryer at a safe distance though. HTH

sugardugar Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 7:33am
post #7 of 8

Corn syrup and water!

KarenOR Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 8

i was just searching for somethign else and it brought this up>

Quote by @%username% on %date%