Forgot An Ingridient My Cake Is Not Moist Enogh. Help

Baking By DALIG Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 2:08am by CWR41

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 15

Ok i dont know what i was thinking but now i sure know what i wasnt thinkin of, OIL today i got up really early to bake a quinceañera cake that is due in a couple of weeks but the cake has 14,12,10,8 in. tiers and i didnt realize that had forgotten the oil after i was done with that cake and e was making a regular cake that when it called for oil my heart just sank. i finished baking this cake and it was already sitting in my freezer, i dont know what to do, cuz as u all know future orders depend on this cake but if i bake it again its just gonna be a waiste of my time and ingridients so i ask you all to pls. tell me what should i do. Do i bake it AGAIN! or is there something i can do to my cake to make it a little more moist. Thank you for your time and i wish you all never forget an ingridient ever.

14 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 15

How do the scraps taste?
To add moisture to a cake after baking it, brush it lightly with simple syrup.

helenecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helenecake Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 15

yes , simple syrup...

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 15

Brush or mist with simple syrup, but since you have a "couple of weeks" before it is due, sample to be sure you are happy w/it. Since this is so important - I would probably bake again and make cake pops with the scraps of cake already made.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 15

I *NEVER* add oil to my cakesicon_smile.gif And they are NOT dry!
The fact that you didn't add the oil is not why the cake is dry. Dryness comes from overbaking &/or baking at too hight a temp.
If you still think it is dry after having been frozen, do what the other poster suggested - brush it with simple syrup. SS is just a mixture of equal part of sugar and water that has been boiled together for 1 minute and cooled.

DALIG Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 15

well i have to say that it tasted pretty good it was just the moist, that im not happy with. by the way the cake recipe was a WASC. so you shoul i risk serving out that cake? and thank you ladies for your replies

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 15

Which WASC recipe did you use? My *original* WASC recipe does not use oil and would not be the least bit dry icon_smile.gif
Yes, I would 'risk serving' it - it will be just fine.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 15

If I miss an ingredient, underbake/overbake, cake didn't rise like it should have, or my product is just does not pass my high quality standards, I ALWAYS remake it, and I am a scracth organic baker that uses super expensive gourmet ingredients. It's not the client's fault I had a brain fart or forces were against me when making their cake! icon_cry.gif Regardless of how much time and money I've lost, I will never let something leave my kitchen that is less then as perfect as I can make it. Sure, I'm not happy about remaking stuff, but that's my problem, not the clients.

With a cake that size, which sounds like it'll feed 150 or more - that's 150 or more people that could possibly think badly of you/your business for providing bad cake and will never refer business to you. To me, that's NOT an acceptable risk. I highly recommend you get some more box mixes and start over rather then trying to fix it. No matter how much syrup you add it'll never be the same as if you made it right in the 1st place.

Good Luck!

Jen

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 15

Why on Earth are you baking cakes that aren't due for two more weeks?? Cakes really should not sit in the freezer longer than 5 days.

Remake the cakes.

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 15

You should remake the cakes. It's not a waste of your time and ingredients, it's what the client paid you for.

DALIG Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:52am
post #11 of 15

well i ve tought of that since i baked them and i totally agree with FromScratchSF and AuntieE i know what i should do but its so hard for me to accept that this is the right thing to do. and to ThreeLittleBlackbirds ive done my research and i ve found that a cake in the freezer is good up to 3 weeks preferable 2 and i gota tell you i dont even like the idea of freezin cakes at all but since it sounded so nice not having to worry about baking that many cakes 3 days before the due date i had to give in. But thank you all for your replies and i guess i still have 2 weeks to get them done. so there goes my next day, i ll be baking all day.

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:04am
post #12 of 15

I only bake for friends and family so I always bake 3 or 4 weeks ahead of time and freeze. I've never had a problem with that. I think you will be fine to remake when you have the time and then freeze, even if if you don't need them for another couple of weeks. You're doing the right thing, don't worry, you will be just fine!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:27am
post #13 of 15

Cakes are shipped frozen by wholesalers all the time. They might recommend using before 6 months has passed, but 1st anniversary cakes that are frozen for an entire year are still edible and can be quite tasty if wrapped properly.

Good luck with whatever decision you make to rebake or not. Once iced, and the buttercream has a chance to seal in the moisture, I'd eat it.

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:43am
post #14 of 15

I would never freeze a cake for that long, but that's just my preference. And you're right about wholesalers shipping cakes frozen but they are flash frozen and then vacuum sealed for freshness. If you have the ability to do that, then great!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:08am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeLittleBlackbirds

And you're right about wholesalers shipping cakes frozen but they are flash frozen and then vacuum sealed for freshness.

No they aren't. Only the raw dough products are frozen solid in 30 minutes or less before packing. The cakes aren't vacuum sealed either (only the brownies)... the frozen layers are packed in a box (some sizes with corrugated cardboard dividers) that's lined with an unsealed bag just folded over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%