Perfect Buttercream

Baking By Candygirl85 Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 5:47pm by Candygirl85

Candygirl85 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 10

icon_surprised.gif Hey! I am looking for the perfect buttercream recipe for a wedding cake. My bride to be doesn't like fondant at all and wants a 4-tier buttercream only cake! Help!! I want a recipe that is delicious to taste and great to work with as far as smoothing very well. I want the cake to be very neat and smooth lookin. Please help me!!

9 replies
luvbuttercream Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 10

Give this one a try I have had lots of positive feedback and haven't had any issues with smoothing and it tastes wonderful!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16670/updated-french-vanilla-buttercream

kakeladi Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 10

Oh my you are asking for the earth to open up and *EVERYONE* to post on this icon_smile.gif

I like this one:
2 of everything

2 cups butter
2 cups Crisco
2 pounds powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring
2 small pinches of salt

Blend together Crisco and butter until very light and fluffy. Slowly add about 1/4 of the sugar; blend well; continue until all sugar, salt and flavoring has been added. The mixing will take a total time of about 10 minutes. If it is not smooth in that time, continue mixing until it is icon_smile.gif
It should be soft and creamy and OH soooooooooooo very tasty icon_smile.gif
This icing does NOT crust. If you want a crusting b'cream reduce either the Crisco OR the butter to one cup and leave all the other ingredients the same.
Flavoring is very personal. It can be just vanilla or a combination of several flavors - whatever you like best.

imagenthatnj Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 10

Here's one (read the comments too), with butter, no shortening.

http://www.mysweetandsaucy.com/2008/02/my-favorite-vanilla-buttercream-recipe/

I make IMBC most of the time, and don't smooth with Viva towels, but if you read the comments, people have done this successfully.

Candygirl85 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks you all very much for your help!! I greatly appreciate it!!!!! icon_razz.gif

Candygirl85 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 10

Sorry,lol!! I meant Thank you all!!! Not thanks you all! icon_biggrin.gif

Candygirl85 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:58am
post #7 of 10

Luvbuttercream: Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it! It sounds so delicious!! I love the comments you've received on it. Since this is a great crusting recipe do you think it will work great on a square tied cake. I know this may seem like a really crazy question, but i'm a little nervous. All the square cakes i've done in the past were covered with fondant so they were very nice and smooth looking. The cake that i'm getting prepared to work on is a 4 tiered square cake with NO fondant and NO top border! Yikes!! icon_surprised.gif That kinda makes me slightly nervous. Also, when icing your cakes with this buttercream do you use a pastry bag with an icing tip or directly on your cake using your spatula. EVERYONE: Lastly, I wondering if anyone had any ideas for a basketball themed grooms cake. The bride wants a cute and simple all buttercream type basketball themed cake. Whew!!! Sorry to ask so many questions! I have a few ideas , but wanted to be open to more before I choose one. Thanks alot !!!

Candygirl85 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 10

Forgot to mention, as for the size of the groom's cake, she wanted a full sheet cake. Thanks!

imagenthatnj Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 10

I haven't seen too many basketball cakes that are rectangular. Here's a square one where you might be able to take inspiration from. The only thing that comes to mind is the basketball court.

Good luck!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dpb61/5035523299/

Candygirl85 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you imagenthat. I will definitely give it a shot! Since she was wanting a "sheetcake" type of cake, I was thinking about possibly making a jersey out of it and incorporate some things into it that he likes. (haven't figured that part out yet, lol icon_smile.gif She told me how his table will be set up, what team he likes and the school(s) he has played for in the past that he enjoyed. Again, thanks a lot for your response!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%