Gelatin Butterflies

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 12:57am by gretch77

Bskinne Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 3

I wanted to make gelatin butterflies, but is there a way to do it without the veining sheets? I don't have time to order anything online for this project...there are two good cake stores in my area, but one said they didn't have them, and the Nicholas lodge store is closed now so I can't find out...would I be able to use a candy mold if I could find one? Or I saw something about dipping wires shaped like wings. I usually do try to figure out things by myself, but I've never worked with gelatin before. Could I paint wings on acetate and then trim them? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

2 replies
Marianna46 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 12:17am
post #2 of 3

For some reason, the gelatin wings that you paint on need to be painted onto a surface that has a little "bite" to it, that is texture, but it doesn't have to be butterfly veining necessarily, just a surface that's not totally smooth. You could also do the wire-rimmed wings and paint them later. Either way, you need a gelatin solution that's 2 or 2 1/2 parts water to 1 part gelatin for it to work.

gretch77 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:57am
post #3 of 3

The Nicholas Lodge store does carry the sheets for the gelatin butterfly wings. They open at 10 AM.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%