Jester's Crown

Decorating By KutieKakes Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 8:55pm by KutieKakes

KutieKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KutieKakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 7

I was asked to do this cake...made the first crown out of fondant...fell apart. Made the second out of a fondant/gumpaste mix...and didn't make it home before the crown peaks fell off. How would you make this and get the form like in the pic with out it falling apart?
THANKS!

6 replies
KutieKakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 7

I was asked to do this cake...made the first crown out of fondant...fell apart. Made the second out of a fondant/gumpaste mix...and didn't make it home before the crown peaks fell off. How would you make this and get the form like in the pic with out it falling apart?
THANKS!

Hmmm...I've tried 3 times to attach the pic and it won't attach....??? It looks like a crown, but the peaks tilt outward. It is a topper out of gumpaste or fondant...not a cake. Mine tilted outward...then down...the broke off. icon_smile.gif

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 7

Try just posting a link. For some reason, we can't post pics anymore in the posts.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 7

I have a jester's hat cake in my pics...is it like that? Or are the crown pointy thingys in mid air?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 7

If you're doing a crown with the tips, how are you creating the bends and how long are you letting them dry. I would stick with gumpaste or the gumpaste fondant mix since it dries pretty solid.
My thought is to use paper towel tubes and fold the tips over that and let them dry for 72 hours (or longer). You'd have to support the paper towel tubes if the tips don't come all the way down.

Post your pic either in your own pictures or on webshots or photobucket and then post a link to the pic. Right now the attach picture feature is not working on CC.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 7

I can tell you first hand, that right at the bend is where the fondant/gumpaste or whatever medium you use will crack. Even threading a wire through didn't work. The weight is just too much. And the weight in the top of the cake is enough to crack it open. These are really tricky, so a pic of the cake would really help. I spent a month practicing this for the grooms cake I did and it still stresses me out to think about it icon_biggrin.gif

KutieKakes Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 7

http://www.sweetretreat.ca/files/cakegallery/_White_and_Gold_Royal_Scroll_Mad_Hatter_Cake.jpg - Hope this posts. This was a huge version of the cake(mine was only 2 tiers). I like the paper towel roll idea...but how do you get it to stay? I tried rolled foil and it just kept getting lower and lower. The first sat for 3 days before it broke off in the kitchen. The second...waited till the customer picked up...don't think it even made the car ride home. I'm sure gumpaste is the way to go(without mixing it with fondant)...but the fondant seems to hold the initial form because it's denser(for lack of a better term)...but then proves to be too heavy in the long run. Ahhh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%