My First Attempt At Quilling On A Cake

Decorating By silverdragon997 Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 4:41pm by silverdragon997

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 11

I've become fascinated with paper quilling recently, and decided to try it out on a cake. It was a lot of fun, though it took quite a while. I think I'll have to try out some other designs. I found this one on a paper quilling site and decided to make it out of fondant.

What do you think?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1990312

10 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 11

Love it, great design!

I love 'quilling' on cakes, Colette Peters has a great one on her website: http://www.colettescakes.com/wedding_cc.html# (third row down, second from left)

silverdragon997 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:01am
post #3 of 11

That's what got me started...someone wants a cake in a similar style with the quilled flowers. I got to researching, became fascinated, and decided to give it a go! Funny though, I haven't been able to get my quilled flowers to come out as well as the fish did so far.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:07am
post #4 of 11

This is a great cake. I have to ask, did you trace the fish before you did the quilling, or just free hand?

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:32am
post #5 of 11

That's amazing!!! icon_eek.gif

silverdragon997 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:53am
post #6 of 11

I printed the picture of the paper quilled fish out on paper, covered the paper with cling wrap, and then placed the pieces in as I made them.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon997

I printed the picture of the paper quilled fish out on paper, covered the paper with cling wrap, and then placed the pieces in as I made them.

And then how did you attach it to the cake? I've never tried this!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 11

Wow, this has to be the first quilled artwork I've seen. Most people do flowers! What a great job! You look like you are off to a great start on cake quilling.

Try doing a search in the galleries for "quilled". There aren't a lot of quilled cakes in the galleries but a few really good ones come up.

silverdragon997 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon997

And then how did you attach it to the cake? I've never tried this!

I let it dry over night on the cling wrap, then used the cling wrap to help put it on. It's actually on backwards from the way it sat while I made it. I think it helped that the fondant on the dummy cake was still soft, but the fish was hard, so I was able to push it into the fondant a bit to help it stay. It's only attached with water.

dld65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dld65 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 11

I love this idea! I used to do quilling all the time when I was a kid and I still have quilled ornaments on my tree 30+ years later. Do you just use fondant or do you mix with gum paste?

silverdragon997 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dld65

I love this idea! I used to do quilling all the time when I was a kid and I still have quilled ornaments on my tree 30+ years later. Do you just use fondant or do you mix with gum paste?

I used good old Wilton fondant, always trustworthy to dry almost as hard as gumpaste anyway. It gave me more time to manipulate the pieces while I was making it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%