Fmm Cutters!!!! Ahhhh...

Decorating By mandirombold Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 6:07pm by MissCuteCupcakes

mandirombold Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 5

Can someone please tell me that there is a trick to using the FMM cutters, I have the Funky, block and script and am really having a hard time. All they do is stick or fall apart when I tap them out! what in the world am I doing wrong!

4 replies
Rosiepan Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 5

You need to be using gumpaste or mexican paste, Roll it thin and let it dry offf for a couple of minutes. (Lightly dust with PS or lightly grease surface with shortening.) Read somewhere that someone covers with film before cutting. Never needed to try that but may help. Use tooth pick if it doesn't come out when tapping them in your hand or on the work top.

tiggy2 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 5

Roll your gumpaste or fondant very thin and let it dry a bit before cutting. Be sure to dust with PS on both sides before cutting. When you cut press the cutter down and move it aroundin a circular motion until it is cut all the way through. Then wack it against the edge of the counter and the letter should pop out. Let it rest before trying to move or pick up.

mamabaer Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 5

I use MMF and it works fine. You have to do a thin rubbing of shortening, then roll fondant EXTRA see through thin. cut it out..should stick to the table. then use toothpick or something sharp (I use the tip of my exacto) to pull up the excess around the letter. Let the letter dry a little at least 5 minutes or more. (I just work on the other letters in the mean time) then use your exacto blade and carefully get it off the table.

Edna has a great tutorial on youtube for it. I think it's under Edna and tappits.

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 5

i've used MMF and gumpaste and i must say using gumpaste is the easiest and fastest way!

a quick trick with fondant (if u have to use it) is to rub some shortening on the surface then cut the letters out. they come out soooo much easier.

but i would recommend using gumpaste. i by the little wilton pre-made gumpaste and keep that on hand just for tappits.

Quote by @%username% on %date%