Swag (?) Decorating - How To & What Type Of Icing

Decorating By elb80 Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 4:21pm by indydebi

elb80  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elb80 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a wedding cake for a friend and she wants a simple design. Ivory Buttercream with a black swag (? I think that's what it's called) around the edge and dots under the swag. I have the cakes made, the ivory buttercream made, but I don't know what kind of icing to use for decorating? Just colored buttercream? Will that hold up on the side of the cake? I took a cake class years ago and somewhat remember Royal Icing & Color Flow but I can't remember when to use what. Thanks!!!! (I am attaching a sample picture so you can tell me if that is called a swag or not! icon_smile.gif) Thanks!!

Edit - I can't get the image to attach so here is a link to what I am talking about. Thanks! http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/69229/detailview.aspx?type=3&id=69229&STOPREDIRECTING=TRUE&colors=Black-and-White&Wedding%20Details=Cake

7 replies
 ddaigle  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 8

I do butter cream swags often. They will hold. I only use Royal Icing for cookies. Picture wouldn't open??

cakification  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 8

i can't see the pic, but my though would be either RI or BC with some piping gel in it to give it more elasticity.

Unlimited  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:01am
post #4 of 8

I'd use buttercream. It will hold. I haven't been able to view the cake in your link, but it sounds like you are correctly describing a swag or garland. I wouldn't add piping gel for that because it will thin your BC, but it wouldn't hurt to add piping gel if what you are describing as a swag is actually stringwork.

indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I do butter cream swags often. They will hold. I only use Royal Icing for cookies. Picture wouldn't open??

ditto.

gscout73  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 5:43am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

ditto.

Same Here.. Love swags...

FromScratchSF  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:13am
post #7 of 8

I admit - I've ripped off this design myself because I think it's so cute... That's a variation of an Elisa Strauss cake, and she was kind enough to actually do a full tutorial on how to make that cake as well as the flower on her blog.

http://confetticakes.blogspot.com/2009/04/anemone-flower.html

She uses royal. IMHO It's easier to get royal icing black then buttercream.

Good luck!

Jen

indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I admit - I've ripped off this design myself because I think it's so cute... That's a variation of an Elisa Strauss cake, and she was kind enough to actually do a full tutorial on how to make that cake as well as the flower on her blog.

http://confetticakes.blogspot.com/2009/04/anemone-flower.html

She uses royal. IMHO It's easier to get royal icing black then buttercream.

Good luck!

Jen

when I see this design, I'm thinking "Stringwork" not "swags". I do LOVE this cake, though! I've seen it before and hvae it saved in my cake files! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%