Swag (?) Decorating - How To & What Type Of Icing

Decorating By elb80 Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 4:21pm by indydebi

elb80 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a wedding cake for a friend and she wants a simple design. Ivory Buttercream with a black swag (? I think that's what it's called) around the edge and dots under the swag. I have the cakes made, the ivory buttercream made, but I don't know what kind of icing to use for decorating? Just colored buttercream? Will that hold up on the side of the cake? I took a cake class years ago and somewhat remember Royal Icing & Color Flow but I can't remember when to use what. Thanks!!!! (I am attaching a sample picture so you can tell me if that is called a swag or not! icon_smile.gif) Thanks!!

Edit - I can't get the image to attach so here is a link to what I am talking about. Thanks! http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/69229/detailview.aspx?type=3&id=69229&STOPREDIRECTING=TRUE&colors=Black-and-White&Wedding%20Details=Cake

7 replies
ddaigle Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 8

I do butter cream swags often. They will hold. I only use Royal Icing for cookies. Picture wouldn't open??

cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 8

i can't see the pic, but my though would be either RI or BC with some piping gel in it to give it more elasticity.

Unlimited Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:01am
post #4 of 8

I'd use buttercream. It will hold. I haven't been able to view the cake in your link, but it sounds like you are correctly describing a swag or garland. I wouldn't add piping gel for that because it will thin your BC, but it wouldn't hurt to add piping gel if what you are describing as a swag is actually stringwork.

indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I do butter cream swags often. They will hold. I only use Royal Icing for cookies. Picture wouldn't open??

ditto.

gscout73 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 5:43am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

ditto.

Same Here.. Love swags...

FromScratchSF Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:13am
post #7 of 8

I admit - I've ripped off this design myself because I think it's so cute... That's a variation of an Elisa Strauss cake, and she was kind enough to actually do a full tutorial on how to make that cake as well as the flower on her blog.

http://confetticakes.blogspot.com/2009/04/anemone-flower.html

She uses royal. IMHO It's easier to get royal icing black then buttercream.

Good luck!

Jen

indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I admit - I've ripped off this design myself because I think it's so cute... That's a variation of an Elisa Strauss cake, and she was kind enough to actually do a full tutorial on how to make that cake as well as the flower on her blog.

http://confetticakes.blogspot.com/2009/04/anemone-flower.html

She uses royal. IMHO It's easier to get royal icing black then buttercream.

Good luck!

Jen

when I see this design, I'm thinking "Stringwork" not "swags". I do LOVE this cake, though! I've seen it before and hvae it saved in my cake files! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%