What "tools" Do You Find Useful That Are Unconvent

Decorating By SweetsbyLadawn Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 7:06pm by Jeff_Arnett

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 8

I saw on TV and read here on CC that some of you use spackle blades....I think that I want to try that! Going to the hardware store tonight. I use heavy vinyl plastic to roll my fondant and gumpaste on...guess that could count. I also purchase clay tools for fondant and gumpaste work.

Do you find other things to be useful that you want to share?

7 replies
cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 8

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but i just bought a spackle blade based on what everyone here has been saying, and im looking for a piece of vinyl too.
I've also heard a lot of people talking about clay guns for making lengths of fondant, so thats an idea.

Personally I don't use anything really that's out of the ordinary, but I would be interested to hear what everyone else has to say!

jewels710 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 8

Aside from a bench scraper, some use a foam paint roller to smooth their buttercream.

I LOVE my drywall circle cutter for cutting perfect circles.
I got a cutter (don't know the official name) in the plumbing section, cuts perfectly around the wilton's type plastic dowels, evenly so my supports are always the same height.

The rubbery stuff you buy to put under rugs to keep them from slipping has a cool texture you can use on basketball and football cakes.

I bought a retractable/expandable window screen from walmart for like $7ish for drying my fondant/gumpaste pieces on. Its great if I have a lot of stuff to dry I expand it to double my space and retract it for storage.
I use that the most.

I'll prob think of more, but its hard when you use items all the time you don't think of them as non-conventional!

auntginn Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 8

I use pvc pipe that has been cut to 36 inches as a rolling pin for my fondant. Great for rolling out the fondant for larger size cakes.

... jewels710, I'll bet that cutter is generally used to cut pvc pipe.

mamabaer Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 8

wow, a drywall circle cutter. never thought of that one. or the retractable screen! awesome!

I use the vinyl a lot. I got mine from walmart for dirt cheap back in the craft section (this walmart had fabric and such) tiny bit of shortening, roll out the fondant and it is easy to invert over cakes.

I use copy paper to smooth crusted over fondant.

I use a sewing tracing wheel for stitchmarks on fondant.

cuticle scissors for tiny pieces I need to cut that would be hard with an exacto.

brand new knee high stockings filled with cornstarch, tie in a knot at the top and cut off excess. Use this for dusting surfaces. works better than the dusting pouches I've found.

a garlic press for "hair" or anything of that sort. (does the same as the clay gun, but I think the clay gun allows for bigger strands.)

A turntable from IKEA that was meant for a table top, not cakes. It's huge and sturdy and was CHEAP!!! love that thing!

auntginn Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 8

Oh mamabaer, your right forgot about that. The lazy susan from IKEA! Made from wood so its so much sturdier. Cost $6.00 when I purchased it way back then.

When I was teaching I would tell my students to buy that one instead of the plastic thingies. Don't forget to buy a level from the home improvement stores. I have one and it helps so... much when making tierred and sculpted cakes. We don't want those cakes falling over.
Drinking straws used for support instead of dowel rods.

lanana Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 8

I use balloons straws, used to hold the non helium inflated balloons. I found them at Hobby Lobby, the bag comes with 20 ultra long straws, for $3.99. they are so sturdy I have to cut them with the PVC cutter.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetsbyLadawn

I saw on TV and read here on CC that some of you use spackle blades....I think that I want to try that! Going to the hardware store tonight. I use heavy vinyl plastic to roll my fondant and gumpaste on...guess that could count. I also purchase clay tools for fondant and gumpaste work.

Do you find other things to be useful that you want to share?

The plastic cover that comes with fluorescent lights is great to texture large pieces of fondant.

I use the blue paper/fiber trays that supermarkets get apples in to dry flower petals....I just cut them out, wrap in foil and hot glue to a board....ask the produce manager at your market for some.

Egg crate matress pads are also great for drying flowers. I also have a bunch of plastic trays that Easter egg candy came in.....they're good for drying tulip petals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%