Cricut... So I've Cut My Image Out.. Now What?

Decorating By LisaPeps Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 7:49pm by LisaPeps

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 7

So I finally managed to get the darn thing to work... cut out my image perfectly... now what??

I tried to take it off the mat and it tears. It's so well stuck down that I can't get it off!! My first attempt broke, so I'm going to roll out some more fondant and hope someone replies.

Please help!!

P.S I used the drying method with normal fondant.

6 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 7

There is a fine line between too much shortening on the mat, and not quite enough! Try popping it in the freezer for a few minutes, then immediately remove from sheet using small spatula or the like.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 7

I use a little toothpick to gently get under the cut to break the 'seal' of the fondant to the mat. It can help to take off the excess and then pop the cut piece in the freezer for a few minutes, especially for intricate pieces.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniekaye

Your problem is using fondant.

I have to politely disagree with this. I have only used Satin Ice fondant in mine and have had no issues. I let it dry on the mat before hand. and cut.

As someone mentioned above there is a fine line on the shortening. I wipe it on with a papertowel so i can see it, then i take a dry papertowel and wipe it off a couple of times (lightly so it still leaves some)

When it's cut i remove the excess from around my cut image, then use a spatula (i use the one that came in the kit but it's similiar to the icing spatulas that wilton sells) Sometimes i need to let it dry a little bit longer on the mat after cutting, but again there is a fine line and you don't want it to dry to long or it cracks when you try to remove it (trial and error on that one unfortunately, expecially depending on your humidity)

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 7

i use modeling chocolate for ALL my cricut work it is perfect! just did a whole buz lightyear with tons of cutouts looks so so good!

LisaPeps Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 7

I would guess I have been applying too much shortening. I'll try again with less next time. It's not the fondant because I used Linda McLure's recipe the first time I tried using my cricut and that was even worse than fondant.

I have used modelling chocolate with it, and it works great, however my hands always melt the pieces when I'm trying to apply them.

I resorted to cutting by hand as the thread didn't add to watched topics... silly CC bug.

LisaPeps Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 7

Forgot to add, I'm in the UK so there's virtually no humidity and I can't get hold of the icing sheets you suggested.

Thanks for your help! I'll know for next time icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%