Why Is Buttercream So Grainy

Baking By DebMcGee Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 12:35am by Sangriacupcake

DebMcGee Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:51am
post #1 of 9

Hi
I'm new to baking and decorating but am keen to learn! Cakes are good but my icing needs help.

I made some buttercream today but I can still 'bite' the icing sugar despite beating it on my mixer for a very long time. Why is this?

I've also tried using shortening t make american style frosting but it always curdles!

Maybe I'm doomed.....

Any tips would be great!
Thanks
Debx

8 replies
cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 9

What recipe are you using for your BC?

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 9

If you're using powdered sugar, it will always be grainy. If you want a smooth, creamy buttercream, make swiss or italian meringue buttercream. It's to die for! Doesn't use powdered sugar. You melt granulated sugar into egg whites, whip them to stiff peaks, then beat in butter and flavorings until it's fluffy. I prefer mine cold, but it's divine at room temperature, as well. HTH

ddaigle Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 9

Must disagree scarlets-cakes. I make tons and tons of butter cream with powered sugar and it is smooth as silk.

DebMcGee---you either got a bad bath of PS, or your techinque needs tweeked.

jewels710 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 9

Not true about Powdered sugar buttercream "Always" being grainy.
Mine is never grainy! Its smooth, creamy & to die for...every time and is a traditional American BC.

Try Sugarshacks recipe. You won't be letdown.

auntginn Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 9

I use powdered sugar all the time, never grainy, also could be the quality or grade of the sugar. Where did you buy your p. sugar? I only buy mine from warehouse stores such as smart & final (when you buy in smaller qty's being that you are new) I buy from bakery distributors so its in 50lb qty's. The sugar is much fresher/moistier. Sorry if I didn't spell this right.

As for the curdling, I find that if all ingrediants wet/dry are not at the same temp. this happens but will straighten itself out.

FYI. I also add white chocolate to my wet and a teaspoon or so of flour to my dry ingrediants. The taste is awesome.

DebMcGee Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 9

thanks for responses!

i use the wilton recipe but Ilive in the UK so we dont have as much choice as you do over in the usa (although my mom visits frequently so she could be my new importer of all things small and light!). I have only one brand in even the biggest store so buy that.

I'll have a go at the recipes above and for getting professional sugar too.

Thanks again
D

auntginn Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 9

D, maybe you can find out where the bakeries get their supplies and if so would they sell to you. I don't know what the rules are in the UK. On this side we have to have a resell permit to buy. If they won't sell to you maybe a bakery will. Some bakeries will help out newbies.

Sangriacupcake Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:35am
post #9 of 9

Try to find powdered sugar made from sugar cane--not beets. C & H or Domino's are both cane sugar. It really makes a difference!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%