Lots Of Smash Cake Only Request.

Decorating By cakelady2266 Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 9:51pm by cakelady2266

cakelady2266 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:49am
post #1 of 25

I have been getting several request a week for just a smash cake for one year old's parties, along with one for the 1st year pictures. I asked if they need a cake for the party and everyone said they were doing cupcakes and only needed the smash cake. It hardly seems worth the effort to just do a smash cake or two. Is this a new trend?

24 replies
Corrie76 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:23am
post #2 of 25

sigh....yes, however, this is what I've done very recently due to this very issue. I've instituted a 30.00 minimum for 6" single and double layer cakes, either size - doesn't matter, 30.00...BUT if the 6" cake is ordered with any other sized cake or more than 2 doz. cupcakes (all my other cakes start at 30.00 and go up from there) THEN the 6" cake is reduced to 15.00 for a single layer and 20.00 for a double layer.
I've found out the hard way how not worth it it is to prepare icing,bake a cake, clean up, etc..etc...etc... just for a little 15.00 smash cake- but if I'm already making a big cake to go with it, then it's no big deal to throw in a smash cake while I've got the kitchen partially destroyed anyways.

So far, this pricing has worked out well, I've had a few people balk at the 30.00 minimum, but it's fine with me, I'm not lacking for business and would rather be working on bigger $$ cakes anyways.

Rainbow Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:34am
post #3 of 25

I only supply the smash cake if a party cake or 2 dozen cupcakes are ordered too. It is the same theme. So far no one has said anything and I live in the sticks icon_smile.gif

Sue

jo3d33 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:41am
post #4 of 25

I only supply a no charge smash cake if the order is $50 or more. I do however charge for the decoration time on the cake. I have been asked SEVERAL times for a smash cake, but they want sugar flowers, gumpaste characters ect. SO, I have started charging a $10 per hour decoration fee. If you want a basic buttercream cake with the kids name on it....no charge. You want stripes, polka dots flowers and a gumpaste dog....yeah, you gotta pay for that.

SweetsbyLadawn Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 25

I havent run into that yet with my business thank goodness. But agree that you have to set up a minimum order limit.

Ursula40 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 25

out here a six inch cake (all chemical) costs 15 US minimum from a bakery, you betcha I charge for my cakes, baked fresh from scratch with all natural ingredients and all decorations cost extra

indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 25

First, just as an aside and just a personal preference, I really hate the term "smash" when applied as a description of food. It gives me the image of food being thrown against a wall and being "smashed" to bits. Woo. Appetizing. icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Second, I'd love to know when this "trend" of baby having a whole separate cake came into play? "Back in MY day .....!" the kid got a piece of cake that was cut from the main, uh, excuse me, I mean the ONLY cake at the party. What one year old needs a whole SIX INCH CAKE all to themselves?

Third, they are having cupcakes. Give the kid one of teh cupcakes!! Kid will make the obligatory mess so mommy and friends can ooh! and awww! over how "cute" the kid is with the mess. (The same mess, by the way, that would pi$$ mommy off if it was a regular meal with the family.)

I dont' like first birthday parties. I did one for my first one because we're "suppose to" and afterward I asked myself why I went thru all fo that crap. I avoided the traditional 'first birthday bash" for my other two. The kid has no idea what's going on . The whole party is for the parent(s).

Sorry to sound so cynical today, but I'm on muscle relaxers and laying on a massaging heating pad because I threw my back out 2 days ago, so I'm blaiming it on the pain!. icon_redface.gif

infinitsky Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

First, just as an aside and just a personal preference, I really hate the term "smash" when applied as a description of food. It gives me the image of food being thrown against a wall and being "smashed" to bits. Woo. Appetizing. icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Second, I'd love to know when this "trend" of baby having a whole separate cake came into play? "Back in MY day .....!" the kid got a piece of cake that was cut from the main, uh, excuse me, I mean the ONLY cake at the party. What one year old needs a whole SIX INCH CAKE all to themselves?

Third, they are having cupcakes. Give the kid one of teh cupcakes!! Kid will make the obligatory mess so mommy and friends can ooh! and awww! over how "cute" the kid is with the mess. (The same mess, by the way, that would pi$$ mommy off if it was a regular meal with the family.)

I dont' like first birthday parties. I did one for my first one because we're "suppose to" and afterward I asked myself why I went thru all fo that crap. I avoided the traditional 'first birthday bash" for my other two. The kid has no idea what's going on . The whole party is for the parent(s).

Sorry to sound so cynical today, but I'm on muscle relaxers and laying on a massaging heating pad because I threw my back out 2 days ago, so I'm blaiming it on the pain!. icon_redface.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Kristie925 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 25

I like the idea of a minimum $ amount for all orders. I also like smash cakes. We're having my 3rd child's 1st birthday party in about a week and he's getting the small paisley pan as his smash. I think 'smash' is accurate for this type of cake. The kids definitely smash the heck out of them with their hands! Smash cakes are special for me because we don't let our children have cake with icing, just some small chunks of plain cake, until their first birthday, and they really don't get much at all their second year. So, it's like giving them their first taste of an actual cake! And, at that age, the party is really for the parents, but the kids will always have the pictures and videos to look at when they get older! That's priceless!

cakegirl1973 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 25

I will only do a smash cake if they order a party cake or cupcakes from me. The smash cake is a 4", 2 layer cake. I charge $12.00 for it.

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:01pm
post #11 of 25

I offer a smash cake but only in conjuction with a larger cake ordered.It is not worth my time to turn the oven on for a smash cake...I tell the customer and it is stated on my site I do not do these cakes seperately.

cakesbycathy Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 25

First I have an all or nothing clause so if they aren't getting the other cake or cupcakes from me they aren't getting just a smash cake either.

2nd I don't turn on my oven for less than $50. For smash cakes I make a single layer 6" round with no filling. So if that's all they wanted then they would be paying $50 for it. But see the first thing icon_wink.gif

Minstrelmiss Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 25

I hear ya, I had a friend ask me to make her grandson a jumbo cupcake for thier first bday. I laughed, "you're kidding right? You want me to make a batch of batter for ONE cupcake?!! HA!" Silly people. I love the minimum order plan.

indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:26pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrelmiss

I hear ya, I had a friend ask me to make her grandson a jumbo cupcake for thier first bday. I laughed, "you're kidding right? You want me to make a batch of batter for ONE cupcake?!! HA!" Silly people. I love the minimum order plan.

I had a similar request for ONE cookie. My response is "Sure! As soon as you tell me how to split an egg into 12 equal portions so I can only use 1/12 of an egg!" icon_lol.gif

cherrycakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:32pm
post #15 of 25

I just saw an ad in our local internet classifieds where a photographer is looking for a caker to supply smash cakes for photo shoots - it must be the latest rage!

cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:49pm
post #16 of 25

The thing about "smash" cakes tho.. they shouldn't really be covered in fondant or gumpaste flowers, etc.. 1 year old babies can easily choke on those things..

That being said, i personally think the tradition of the smash cake is another one of those "keeping up with the jones" type thing.. so parents can say "I got my kid their own cake, isn't that cool?" But that's just my opinion..

If you really want a kid to have fun with a cake.. give them a cupcake and pile it high with whipped cream or frosting and let them have at it!

(sorry, I know that was OT, but i just wanted to share my opinion about the "smash" cakes.)

donnlara Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:49pm
post #17 of 25

I've had several of those requests lately also, "just need a cute smash cake, we'll have cupcakes for everyone else." I do a minimum order of $35, and it's working fine for me right now. I'm not busy enough right now that I turn them away for those small orders, but when things pick up in June I might. The recent jeep cake on my photos was a "just smash cake" request, they had a ton of food and chocolate cake in pyrex dishes for the rest of the 50+ guests (I was a guest at the party).

Corrie76 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:14pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakification

The thing about "smash" cakes tho.. they shouldn't really be covered in fondant or gumpaste flowers, etc.. 1 year old babies can easily choke on those things..

That being said, i personally think the tradition of the smash cake is another one of those "keeping up with the jones" type thing.. so parents can say "I got my kid their own cake, isn't that cool?" But that's just my opinion..

If you really want a kid to have fun with a cake.. give them a cupcake and pile it high with whipped cream or frosting and let them have at it!

(sorry, I know that was OT, but i just wanted to share my opinion about the "smash" cakes.)

I totally agree with the fondant and gumpaste figures and stuff...not only a potential choking hazard- but not nearly as fun to watch a baby have his way with compared to fluffy messy BC. I often suggest a special cupcake for the baby, to clients, especially when they are taken aback that I do charge for smash cakes....and I think in some cases it is a 'keeping up with the Joneses' kinda thing but also, I know from working at Albertsons for several years, our bakery always gave free 1st b-day cakes(8" single layer!)- that was our 'schtick' to get folks in and that's been going on for decades....I do remember getting mad from time to time when people would come in and only get the free cake and nothing else...or worse when we would find out that the same people would go to three or four Albertsons to pick up a free cake at each one thumbsdown.gif

Ursula40 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:18pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie76

I do remember getting mad from time to time when people would come in and only get the free cake and nothing else...or worse when we would find out that the same people would go to three or four Albertsons to pick up a free cake at each one thumbsdown.gif

Oh wow, baby turns 4 at his first birthday icon_smile.gif)))

KHalstead Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:45pm
post #20 of 25

I respond with a "hahaha that's cute........but seriously I don't turn my oven on for less than $25" Would you like a $25 smash cake? That usually puts an end to it!

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:46am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I just saw an ad in our local internet classifieds where a photographer is looking for a caker to supply smash cakes for photo shoots - it must be the latest rage!

I had a similar request by a photographer friend, so yes, must be the newest fad!!!

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:52am
post #22 of 25

I figure if I'm not good enough to make the "main" cake then why would they want me making the smash cake???? ha.

Good posting Indy!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Paperfishies Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:47am
post #23 of 25

From everything I've seen people are doing this to save money...Buying cupcakes from a grocery store and a custom smash cake for the kid.
Which is silly to me. Why not spend more money on the cake that all the guests are going to have and give the kid a $5 6inch grocery store cake, the kid will like it all the same.

The smash cake photo thing is very popular. I have an 11 month old and a 7 year old...My 11 month old is getting her pictures taken next week with a smash cake, while wearing the tutu I made her, lol.

A funny story...My friend had her daughters smash cake/first bday pictures made...and during the pictures her kid got cake incing in her eye and was PISSED off the ENTIRE time. The kid is crying in all of the pictures. lol.

Corrie76 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:31pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I had a similar request by a photographer friend, so yes, must be the newest fad!!!

Even crazier! I was contacted by a photographer about supplying her with smash cakes for 1st b-day photo shoots, just yesterday afternoon....weird huh.
I really don't think she's going to be willing to pay 30.00 a pop for a cake though....And here's the part where I'm going to sound like a total snot, but she takes the WORST pictures ever, and I don't think I want to associate my self with her business. She's from a rich ranching family and is part of the "good 'ol boys" network that runs our small town...so she isn't lacking for business- but it is a guilty pleasure of myself and my office mates to look at her FB albums and stare in amazement that people paid her to take the most horendous photos we've ever seen icon_eek.gif

cakelady2266 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 9:51pm
post #25 of 25

Another pisser is that the cupcakes these people are getting are from the $3.00 per cupcake chain. Why they tell me this I do not know, it really doesn't help them get any closer to getting the kid's smash (sorry Indy) cake.

I'm with yall I'm not turning on the oven for under $50. I make to big of a mess to spend an hour cleaning up after myself for a smash cake. The parents and the photographers are wanting something besides a single 4 inch layer with dots, they want double layers or small 2 tier cakes. With all the photoshop abilities of most photographers maybe they could just photoshop a smash cake in.

I thing this whole birthday blow out is over compensation anyway. My boys were skittish of touching their smash cakes after me spend their entire first year telling them to not touch cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%