Missouri Cottage Food Law?

Business By bellacakes3706 Updated 8 May 2014 , 4:25am by milkmaid42

bellacakes3706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakes3706 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:55am
post #1 of 19

Hi everyone, a question for all of you wonderful cakers! Does anyone know much about the Missouri Cottage Law? I see that MO has one but can't find much about what is included in it. I am in the beginning stages of starting a business and would like to find out if this law will benefit me. I have talked to the local HD and they said I'm required to have the separate kitchen, separate entrance, food licenses, etc. How does this differ from what the cottage law says? Thanks!!

18 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:46am
post #2 of 19

I'm not sure MO even has a blanket cottage food law for the entire state, it looks like they leave it up to individual county health depts, so you'll probably have to follow what your local HD says.

http://health.mo.gov/safety/foodsafety/faq.php

bellacakes3706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakes3706 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:00am
post #3 of 19

Thanks for the info. Maybe that's why I can't find much info on it! I'm in touch with the county I live in so I'll just go from thereicon_smile.gif

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:09am
post #4 of 19

Jason you are correct Missouri doesn't have a blanket cottage law. The county that you live in will determine what rules you have to abide by. I will say this that Missouri is really cracking down on people that bake from home without going through the proper steps to get licensed. I've heard this from MO Dept of Revenue, Secretary of State office, as well as Supply & Wholesale Stores. Since I live close to the state line I'll be doing business in both MO & KS I had a business owner approach me while getting my license to bake for his stores...stated the young he had wasn't legal & got shut down. So whatever you were told over the phone follow that. I decided to go with a commercial kitchen in MO since there was no way for me to have an extra kitchen entrance and everything else required for home business

clbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clbaker Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 4:53am
post #5 of 19

The public hearing before the committee for HB1508 is 3/28/2012 in Jefferson City. The bill will amend Missouri's existing food statute to add Cottage Food language. The bill must pass commitee to move forward. Both proponents and opponents will be heard. If you are in or near Jefferson City and can be at the hearing your support is critical....Pass the word. Sorry for the short notice. I just found out about the hearing today.

http://www.house.mo.gov/billsummary.aspx?bill=HB1508

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 19

They must not be giving much press to this. My DH is there all the time and usually tells me about what is going on. Never heard about it! As far as MCFL, from the info that I rec. from the local HD and the State (we had a meeting with both to clear things up a bit!) the state sets minimal guidelines that everyone has to follow. Then, it trickles down to the local HD and THEN the city. I live in the county. I can bake from my home under certain guidelines that the state set forward. If I wanted to do this in Jefferson City, I would have to have a separate kitchen. Every time I do something "new" I call HD. I'm sure they are tired of me asking and re-asking the same things. However, I don't want them coming back on me saying that I didn't do it correctly. I depend on what they tell me is correct. They did say however, that this ruling has just been a recent change in the last few years.

maryluvcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryluvcakes Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 5:42am
post #7 of 19

Does anyone know the status of this law? I've been contacting various state reps in MO, and I cannot seem to get answer.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 5:47am
post #8 of 19

According to the link above, HB1508 has not made it out of the Missouri House, so chances are it will not be passed this year.

clbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clbaker Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 19

I gave up baking for a while in order to go back to school. I talked to one of the State Representatives that sponsored the bill about 3 months ago.. He informed me that it had little to no opposition in the House, first, second and public hearing. It has been recommended to pass by the executive committee. I will follow up and post an update by the end of the week.

lmnettles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmnettles Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 19

Has there been any movement on the bill? I can't seem to find any information on where it stands online.

Lschreck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lschreck Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 19

House bill 617, it was read for the 2nd time Feb 15, 2013. We have started a FB group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/152208218265958/?bookmark_t=group to get support for the cottage food law in Missouri. Please join us, and contact your representive to let them know you support it!

SimplyIcedCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIcedCC Posted 6 May 2014 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 19

Does anyone know what counties in Missouri allow baking from home?  Thanks!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 7 May 2014 , 1:09am
post #13 of 19

AI live in Gasconade Co. and the Health Dept.in Hermann said I can bake from my home kitchen with the usual caveats re. custards and cream fillings, etc. Right now we are still awaiting the senate signing the cottage law that has cleared the House. People are pretty optimistic.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 7 May 2014 , 11:27am
post #14 of 19

AI'm in Gasconade as well!!

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 7 May 2014 , 12:04pm
post #15 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmaid42 

Right now we are still awaiting the senate signing the cottage law that has cleared the House. People are pretty optimistic.

Where's the best place to find information on this? I always end up going in circles trying to find the latest on Missouri cottage law.

milkmaid42 Posted 7 May 2014 , 3:12pm
post #16 of 19

I'm not really sure how to work Facebook, but there is a group devoted to the Cottage Food Law resolution. I copied the address: https://www.facebook.com/groups/152208218265958/

I hope this works for you guys. I haven't been as active as, perhaps I should be, since in Gasconade Co. I'm permitted to bake at home. As of now, in Missouri, it goes on an county by county basis. I hope I'm not laboring under false information, for I had quite a lengthy discussion with a lady at the Health Dept. last year. At any rate, I hope it soon gets all settled to eliminate any question.

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:11pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks!

SimplyIcedCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIcedCC Posted 8 May 2014 , 3:37am
post #18 of 19

AThanks! :) do you know if Jefferson or Franklin counties allow it? Or st. Louis? Thanks!

milkmaid42 Posted 8 May 2014 , 4:25am
post #19 of 19

AI only know about Gasconade. Do what I did and call your health dept. They'll be able to tell you definitely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%