Stiff Cream Cheese Icing For Piping With Star Tip

Baking By Cheesetastic Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm by Cheesetastic

Cheesetastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheesetastic Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:53am
post #1 of 6

I apologize if this has been asked a million times before...I'm new icon_smile.gif

A friend has asked me to make a dinosaur cake (Wilton pan) with the stars piped all over it, etc. They have requested cream cheese icing. I know that regular cream cheese icing is very thin and so much so it can't be piped.

Does anyone have any good tips or recipes on how to make the icing stiff enough to pipe? I have found a recipe that has butter, shortening, and cream cheese but haven't had a chance to test it and won't be able to. Has anyone had success with such a recipe?

Sigh.....sometimes fondant is so much easier....hehehe icon_smile.gif

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:07am
post #2 of 6

Yes, the decorators cream cheese icing , you will be able to pipe with it. It is not the original recipe, so it isn,t going to taste like the original. I have used it on wedding cake before(earlene moore's recipe). While , it taste ok, it is not the same. hth

osman1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osman1989 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:15am
post #3 of 6

My sister requested a basketweave cake with cream cheese frosting once and I knew my normal cream cheese frosting recipe would be too soft. I tried the cream cheese frosting recipe located at the Wilton website and it held up pretty well. It didn't have a real heavy shortening taste either like the normal buttercream. Hope this helps.

Cheesetastic Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:30am
post #4 of 6

This is the one I found. I'm hoping it works. I think I might do the thin coat required over the whole cake in "standard" cream cheese icing, and then use the one below for all the piping.

osman1989: Is this the one you were referring to and had success with?

CREAM CHEESE DECORATOR ICING

1 cup butter, softened
½ cup Crisco
16 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp. butter flavor
3 ½ to 4 lbs powdered sugar
½ tsp. salt

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:32am
post #5 of 6

There is a recipe on this site called Crusting Cream Cheese Icing submitted by edencakes. I have used it several times and it definitely will hold up to decorating. It really tastes great also. I would give it a try.

Cheesetastic Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 6

Update! I tried the "Crusting Cream Cheese" Icing by edencakes, and honestly it worked PERFECTLY! I'm so pleased. It was a stiff consistency and worked amazingly well. It makes a lot, however, so bear that in mind. It tastes great too!

A GO-TO recipe for anyone looking for a stiff/crusting cream cheese icing!

So grateful to have these forums to help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%