Fairy Cut Program For Cricut Cake

Decorating By mommafixit Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 5:53am by conchita

mommafixit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommafixit Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:52am
post #1 of 10

I just got my Cricut Cake today. Hobby Lobby, half price. Still more than I wanted to pay, but it was the last one anywhere in my area. Anyway, I was looking on here about it, and ran across discussions about MTC and SCAL. Some say they won't work much longer. I ran across a program called Fairy Cut. Anyone know anything about it? They also have a free trial. Also I've already tried out the Cricut and have question. Does the blade usually cut the mat some? Is that why they eventually have to be replaced? Or am I just setting pressure to hard? TIA

9 replies
bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 10

I have heard of this program for the Cricut. I do know that several craft people have removed this as an option to buy from their web sites because of what Provo Craft did to MTC. People are afraid that they will become a traget for a lawsuit from Provo Craft just because they offer the program on their web sites. Provo Craft is going after SCAL and I am sure that anyone who comes out with a software program that works with a Cricut will also be in danger of getting sued. If you have a Cricut and are currently using any of these programs you are fine. Just do not update your program or the cricut. If you are able to use this new program you need to go ahead and get the real version, but make sure the trial version works with your cricut.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 10

My understanding is that SCAL is available, pending the outcome. I have SCAL, and it works great. I got it last summer, and have not upcdated.

One person had MTC, then updated it, which wiped out the drivers, etc, for Cricut. She had to uninstall, then reinstall from her original disc.

I have never heard of Fairy Cuts, so can't answer.

If you want to buy SCAL, make sure they haven't already taken out the comm for Cricut before you buy.

TashaDuke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TashaDuke Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 10

Hi:

I have FairyCut and really like it. I mainly bought it because the program is exactly the same as Funtime, which is the program I use for my Gazelle, an electronic die-cutter I use to cut paper. Now I can use all of my files without any conversion. And since I already know the software, it was easy. I find the software to be powerful and easy to use, although I've never used SCAL or MTC, so don't know how easy those are. I have used other software though, and this is much more powerful and easier to use. FairyCut just added an .svg import feature and it has a .pdf import feature so you can use any files that are in that format in addition to all the normal file formats these programs normally import. You can't get MTC for Cricut Cake anymore, but you could also still buy SCAL. The only thing I struggled with was the orientation on the page, but that could be more my issue because I don't know exactly what I'm doing or I'm challenged in that way. But all in all, I'm ecstatic that I bought it and it's worked well for me. If you have any specifc questions, just pm me.

Debby

holwhit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holwhit Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, the blade will cut the mat some and you will eventually have to replace the mat. I've read somewhere ( not sure if it was on cc or somewhere else in my travels) that people have bought some sort of flexible cutting mat from the dollar store and trimmed it to size and it works just as well.

And as the others have said, if you're going to buy SCAL make your move soon. I bought MTC about a week before they stopped supporting cricut and almost got hosed because I hadn't updated my firmware. After some messing around with trial versions I got what I needed though.

I haven't heard of fairy cuts, but like bonniekaye mentioned, I'm sure PC will be hunting them down soon enough

mommafixit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommafixit Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the comments. I downloaded the trial, but because its a trial, its set up to make a cup right through the image. Of course it seems to be a good program and if you sign up for the newsletter you get 20% off coupon.
I've been playing with the cricut. I did discover if you have your gumpaste thickness just right and pressure just right, it will cut image without cutting the mat. Just hard to get those right every time.
Thanks again for the comments.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 10

I've been out for a while and just stumbled on this. Are
you gals saying that I can no longer use MTC ? I bought it early March (2011), used it a couple times but not since then.

What did I miss icon_surprised.gif ?

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 10

DO NOT UP-DATE YOUR MTC PROGRAM OR YOUR CRICUT FIRMWARE and you will be fine.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:30am
post #9 of 10

I'm wondering about the mat availability in the future. I have the mini cake cricut and it came with one mat. I haven't been able to find replacement mats anywhere yet. However, Hobby Lobby is clearancing the big cricut cake mats. I've got flexible cutting boards if I need them, but I'd like to stock up on a few of the official mats, too. I wonder if they will go away altogether soon?

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:53am
post #10 of 10

I would rather get the silhoutte cut machine you can use any cutting pogram with this machine and is perfect for your cakes. I have the big cricut cake but I am thinking about selling it because I really don't want to buy all those expensive cartridges. ( they are not cheap at all) so I rather get the silhoutte.

good luck with yours

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%