How To Make A Bucket?

Decorating By liznb2369 Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 3:23pm by cownsj

liznb2369 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:17am
post #1 of 6

I have a strange request for a cake in a couple of weeks. Customer wants a cake with a bucket on top. It has to do with that song, "there's a hole in the bucket, dear liza". Any suggestions on how to make the bucket? I was thinking of having the bucket laying on its side with a hole in the bottom/side, and have "water" coming out of the hole...just don'tknow how i'm going to make this bucket! Any suggestions will be appreciated!

5 replies
theresaf Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:40am
post #2 of 6

If you don't want to stack circular layers and carve it why not use an oven safe shape to bake it in....can u use a clay flowerpot? Or an oven safe coffee cup with the right shape, depending on the size bucket you need of course.

mimi1218 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:44am
post #3 of 6

How big does it need to be? The whole cake could be a large standing up carved bucket with a hole in it and you can decorate the board to be the water coming out. Stack cakes of coordinating sizes 6"-8"- 10" or sub in bigger sizes for a larger cake then carve at an angle...

That's how I picture it at least

cownsj Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:53am
post #4 of 6

Depending on the size you need.....
Here is a photo of the bucket we made. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1493849/1493851 We cut down a plastic cut to the size we wanted the bucket to be. Then we coated the INSIDE of the cup with Crisco, colored gumpaste, and pushed the gumpaste into the cup, being sure it was pushed into the ridges of the cup. We rolled the top of the gumpaste over the top of the cup to get the lip on the bucket. We let it setup for several days before removing the cup from the gumpaste so it was fairly well setup. Then we let the rest air dry til hard. We added the rivet pieces to the inside and outside of the bucket, then the handle. Since our bucket too was laying on it's side, we didn't have to let the handle setup first. I would guess you could leave a hole in the bottom of the gumpaste where you will have the rust hole.

You can use piping gel for the water pouring out. Here is a photo of one we did with, well, not water, but toxic waste, but still, the same thing. http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll426/ShelbyLynnCakes/?action=view¤t=297.jpg#!oZZ123QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs314.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fll426%2FShelbyLynnCakes%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D297.jpg

I hope I explained that ok, but holler if I can answer any questions

liznb2369 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:20am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much! That is very helpful! Its going to sit atop of a 12 inch round, so im going to have to find something a little larger. I had asked her if she'd want the whole cake to be shaped as a bucket, but she preffered a two tiered cake! Thanks again for all the help!

cownsj Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 6

They have those big red plastic cups you could use. That would probably work, and still give you the ridges at the bottom. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%