Gritty Buttercream

Baking By audree Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 6:04pm by Qali

audree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audree Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:28am
post #1 of 16

Do you ever have a problem with buttercream (made with shortening and butter) being gritty? Could it be cheap powdered sugar?

15 replies
decoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decoratingfool Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:55am
post #2 of 16

It could be the powdered sugar, but it can also be from over beating it, I did that once, not good... Did you use salt?? That could be it to...

abqgreene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abqgreene Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:56am
post #3 of 16

I had it happen all the time. Until I tried the Whimsical Bakehouse. That stuff is like eating satin. I got it from the gourmet flavors google doc by macsmom.

Whimsical Bakehouse Whipped Buttercream - Chiara
This is a great light recipe that is not sickningly sweet and is stable. Now it is a whipped buttercream and I am not sure that it would hold up for flowers and decorations beyond borders etc. but it is my standard now for my basic cakes:
In 1 tsp vanilla dissolve 1/8 tsp salt
add 6 cups powdered sugar.
Using whip attachment, whip on low speed.
Add 1 cup boiling water (3/4 on hot days)
Whip until smooth & cooled. This is now a slurry. Don't get discouraged.
Add & whip until smooth again:
2 3/4 cup high ratio or regular shortening of choice
6 oz. butter (1 1/2 sticks) of butter cubed
*Turn mixer to med high. Whip until double in volume & is light & fluffly. This takes about 20 mins. Recipe will fill a 5 qt mixer. Makes 9.5 cups
For chocolate: exchange 1 cup of icing sugar for powdered cocoa. I have found that you have to whip it for the full 20 mins. on high.
No joke for the time. You cannot shorten it. It makes 9.5 cups of icing and it is light and fluffy without a greasy taste or a sugary one as well.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:07am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoratingfool

It could be the powdered sugar, but it can also be from over beating it, I did that once, not good... Did you use salt?? That could be it to...

This might a stupid question, but how would over beating make it gritty? I sometimes leave mine beating for 20 + minutes...?

audree Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 16

I'm always game for a new recipe! Thanks!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 16

I have done some research on this and had it happen twice. Both times it was because I bought generic powdered sugar. Apparently some of the cheaper powdered sugar uses beet sugar and that can cause an issue. I now always use C&H or Domino and never have the problem.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 16

Can you use all butter with the whimsical bakehouse recipe?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 16

The House Buttercream is fantastic. I can eat it by the bowlful. The chocolate variation tastes like mousse. I just love it. However, it is not the best for making flowers.

This is from the Whimsical Bakehouse website:
http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/bake/bake_detail_house_buttercream.html

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 16

I make IMBC most of the time, and I don't like shortening in my food, so here's another delicious recipe for buttercream...with butter.

http://www.mysweetandsaucy.com/2008/02/my-favorite-vanilla-buttercream-recipe/

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 16

That's funny, I've read that to get rid of the gritty texture you must beat for longer... seems to work for me...?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 16

I certainly do not agree that overbeating will make b'cream gritty icon_smile.gif
In fact, I recommend beating on low for at least 10 minutes to make sure it is well mixed.
Wilton has made people think if it is mixed for more than a minute or two it is overbeaten and nothing could be farther from the truth!

Here's a great recipe:
2 of everything

2 cups butter
2 cups Crisco
2 pounds powder sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring
2 small pinches salt.
Cream Crisco and butter for up to 10 minutes until smooth & creamy
Add about 1/4 of the sugar; beat well and continue doing that until all the sugar, salt and flavoring have been added; continue beating for another 5 minutes.
This icing does NOT crust. If you want a crusting b'cream reduce either the Crisco OR the butter to one cup, leaving all the other ingredients the same.
Flavoring is a very personal thingicon_smile.gif It can be all vanilla or any combination of flavors that you like.

Many people complain that any icing that uses Crisco has a greasy taste. Usually that is because it has not been mixed/creamed enough *AND* not enough flavoring has been used. Try using all 2 Tablespoons.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:27am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I certainly do not agree that overbeating will make b'cream gritty icon_smile.gif
In fact, I recommend beating on low for at least 10 minutes to make sure it is well mixed.
Wilton has made people think if it is mixed for more than a minute or two it is overbeaten and nothing could be farther from the truth!

Here's a great recipe:
2 of everything

2 cups butter
2 cups Crisco
2 pounds powder sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring
2 small pinches salt.
Cream Crisco and butter for up to 10 minutes until smooth & creamy
Add about 1/4 of the sugar; beat well and continue doing that until all the sugar, salt and flavoring have been added; continue beating for another 5 minutes.
This icing does NOT crust. If you want a crusting b'cream reduce either the Crisco OR the butter to one cup, leaving all the other ingredients the same.
Flavoring is a very personal thingicon_smile.gif It can be all vanilla or any combination of flavors that you like.

Many people complain that any icing that uses Crisco has a greasy taste. Usually that is because it has not been mixed/creamed enough *AND* not enough flavoring has been used. Try using all 2 Tablespoons.

That's an interesting bc recipe...I've never seen one with so little powdered sugar to fat. That must mean it overcomes that "too sweet" quality of many American buttercreams. Thanks for posting...I'm going to try it.

audree Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks everyone for the advice and recipes. I will definitely stick with the name brand powdered sugar and beat it longer, that all makes sense!

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:42pm
post #14 of 16

Has anyone had success with using only butter with the whimsical bakehouse recipe posted earlier?

mamabaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabaer Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:50pm
post #15 of 16

Ironically, I have found that cheap powdered sugar makes it gritty, except for Aldi's powdered sugar. It works just as good as the domino or C&H. Just in case any of you would want to keep your cost down with the same results. I've never had a problem with it.

Qali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Qali Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 6:04pm
post #16 of 16

I am new to making cakes and plan on making a multilayer cake with a buttercream crumb cake layer, then MMF on top of that. How long can I leave a cake out with butter cream icing before it spoils?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%