Black/chocolate Mmf Turning Soft And Gooey

Baking By ELMdesigns Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 2:39am by ELMdesigns

ELMdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ELMdesigns Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:12am
post #1 of 4

I made some chocolate fondant and colored it black for flowers to top some wedding cupcakes. I shaped the flowers and dried them. Everything was fine. But after I put them on the cupcakes (all butter buttercream frosting) and refrigerated them, they flopped. I know fondant gets soft next to icing but these lost their shape completely and went flat. I have another wedding in June that wants the same black daisies to top their cupcakes so I need to figure out how to fix this! What did I do wrong? Is it the oil in the cocoa or all the black food coloring that messes with the consistency? Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks so much!

3 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:33am
post #2 of 4

its because you put it in the fridge. The moisture in there softened your mmf. Next time make the cupcakes and save putting the flowers on to right before your ready to deliver or their pickup.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:36am
post #3 of 4

Fondant (no matter how dry) absorbs moisture like a sponge. I cover my cake dummies in MMF but have to cover them during the hottest and most humid months of the year because they absorb moisture and get sticky. The rest of the year you can knock on them and they're hard as a rock. There's two things I would try. 1.) add a teaspoon full of gum tragacanth or CMC to your fondant. 2.) make your flowers out of extra thin black gumpaste and dry it over night in the oven with just the interior light on but leave the oven off. And it's best not to put the flowers on the cupcakes until the last minute. Fondant and refrigerators aren't good together. Hope this helps.

ELMdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ELMdesigns Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:39am
post #4 of 4

She picked them up today, wedding is Sat, I had 250 cupcakes and a cake to make, so I had to make way ahead of time! And since the cakes are from scratch, I felt like I should refrigerate them. The white flowers didn't flop like the black, but I'm still learning. Next time I will know. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%