Advice On Transferring From Working Surface To Cake

Decorating By musikat Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 4:14am by musikat

musikat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musikat Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a 3D dinosaur cake this weekend and have decided to do the dinosaur in pieced together/sculpted cake covered with fondant. That dinosaur will then go on a flat rectangular cake that will be frosted. I am concerned that once I have the dinosaur covered in fondant and ready to transfer it might fall apart when I go to put it on the cake, since the head and tail will be pieces held together with frosting. Normally I would freeze it first, but with the fondant I can't, and don't want to put the fondant on while it is on the cake.

Any tips? I haven't done a 3D cake that wasn't decorated and put together on the cake and am not a fondant expert, either. icon_wink.gif

4 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:07am
post #2 of 5

I always chill my fondant cakes before stacking...makes it easier, and it won't hurt the fondant in the least.

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:10am
post #3 of 5

I'd place them on the cake in sections...body first...head....tail. Would be easier once your fondant has been allowed to dry out and firm up

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:37am
post #4 of 5

perhaps you can cut a cardboard board to shape and build it in that , It should make it easier to transfer.

musikat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musikat Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 4:14am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies. I ended up doing the cardboard cutout, but the bottom cake was frozen and the dinosaur was cold from the fridge so I was able to just slide it off onto the cake no problem. Here's the finished product:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1992367

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%