Advice On Transferring From Working Surface To Cake

Decorating By musikat Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 4:14am by musikat

musikat Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a 3D dinosaur cake this weekend and have decided to do the dinosaur in pieced together/sculpted cake covered with fondant. That dinosaur will then go on a flat rectangular cake that will be frosted. I am concerned that once I have the dinosaur covered in fondant and ready to transfer it might fall apart when I go to put it on the cake, since the head and tail will be pieces held together with frosting. Normally I would freeze it first, but with the fondant I can't, and don't want to put the fondant on while it is on the cake.

Any tips? I haven't done a 3D cake that wasn't decorated and put together on the cake and am not a fondant expert, either. icon_wink.gif

4 replies
Kitagrl Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:07am
post #2 of 5

I always chill my fondant cakes before stacking...makes it easier, and it won't hurt the fondant in the least.

Moondance Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:10am
post #3 of 5

I'd place them on the cake in sections...body first...head....tail. Would be easier once your fondant has been allowed to dry out and firm up

Chellescakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:37am
post #4 of 5

perhaps you can cut a cardboard board to shape and build it in that , It should make it easier to transfer.

musikat Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 4:14am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies. I ended up doing the cardboard cutout, but the bottom cake was frozen and the dinosaur was cold from the fridge so I was able to just slide it off onto the cake no problem. Here's the finished product:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1992367

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%