Helpful Video Tutorial For Perfecting Ganache & Sharp Ed

Decorating By cutiepiecupcake Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 11:57pm by cutthecake

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 31

I originally found these links on my news feed on FB from another cake decorator.. they are put together by Michelle Rea from Sydney Australia -an extremelly talented decorator! There are 3 parts to the tutorial - making ganache, applying the ganache, and then acheiving the sharp edges on the fondant... these videos are only 1 day old (from today's date). I found them REALLY helpful.. so I thought I best share them with the rest of you ganache enthusiasts icon_wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/user/InspiredByMichelle?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/2/qFtm8q4m4Bk

http://www.youtube.com/user/InspiredByMichelle?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/1/OgrXxYLm0Sk

http://www.youtube.com/user/InspiredByMichelle?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/0/imfDvvSZn5I

A BIG thank you to Michelle thumbs_up.gif

30 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:17am
post #2 of 31

Thanks for the links cutiepiecupcake...I have to say that ganache is SUCH a great surface to cover with fondant (buttercream is a nightmare under fondant in comparison). Another great source of info for those interested in ganache is the book 'Planet Cake' by Paris Cutler, but hey, I think we all love a free youtube tutorial! icon_biggrin.gif

cutiepiecupcake Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:22am
post #3 of 31

Your on the ball there Coral3.. I love the Planet Cake book too.. oh how I would love my ganache to be so perfect... practice.. practice icon_smile.gif

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:58am
post #4 of 31

These videos are great!! I've never used ganache under fondant, but I'm going to give it a try after seeing these. Thanks to Michelle for explaining it all so perfectly and thanks cutiepiecupcake for posting the links!

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:22am
post #5 of 31

Thanks so much for this link. It's really in-depth and she does a great job explaining things!

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #6 of 31

Great tutorial. Thanks for posting this for all to see. I too have taken to using ganache under my fondant instead of buttercream. But some people still prefer buttercream. icon_razz.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #7 of 31

Thank you, thank you and thank you again for posting the link to tutorial videos. icon_smile.gif

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:35am
post #8 of 31

Thank you for posting these links!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:40am
post #9 of 31

Great videos. Thanks. I,m sorry, but , i don,t know the name of the tool she is using. She tells where to get it, but i didn,t catch what is is. lol!! help!!!

CakeCrystals Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:49am
post #10 of 31

Great tutorial. Thanks for posting this for all to see. I too have taken to using ganache under my fondant instead of buttercream. But some people still prefer buttercream. icon_razz.gif

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:51am
post #11 of 31

Thanks for sharing! This is great!

tamdan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamdan Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:27am
post #12 of 31

Thanks so much for posting the tutorials. Does anybody know the name of the tool she uses to smooth out the ganache?

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:35am
post #13 of 31

This is the link to what looks to me like what she was using...a tri square or square tool.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100187457/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know also...
Thanks

CakeCrystals Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:46am
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

This is the link to what looks to me like what she was using...a tri square or square tool.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100187457/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know also...
Thanks

I like this one. It has a level on it which IMO will help to ensure that you are holding the tool level when smoothing the ganache.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:16pm
post #15 of 31

Thanks for sharing!

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:21pm
post #16 of 31

Thanks this is great!!! Been wanting to try this, hope it holds up in humud weather.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:45pm
post #17 of 31

very cool videos!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 31

I thought it was interesting that her cake board for the tier is actually a cake drum. That would certainly help give height, as well as support.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:42am
post #19 of 31

I'm excited to try making ganache in the microwaveicon_smile.gif Seems easier than the stoveicon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:31am
post #20 of 31

great tutorials! I have always wanted to know how to get super sharp edges, now I just have to find a smoother like her see-thru one. Great ganache tips too, thanks for sharing!

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:39am
post #21 of 31

Thanks so much for posting this! I haven't tried covering a cake with ganache yet because I didn't quite understand the process. Seeing the video gave me the visual I needed. I'll have to try it on my next cake.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:41am
post #22 of 31

Super videos, thanks for posting, if this keeps up, I will have more tools in my tool box than my husband! Gotta get one of those, I mean the tool, not the husband!

CakemummyCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemummyCC Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:55am
post #23 of 31

Thank you so much for posting these tutorials. Its great to be able to see what the consistency of the ganache should look like.

cutiepiecupcake Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 7:11am
post #24 of 31

You are all very welcome icon_smile.gif I visited her site http://inspired-by-chocolate-and-cakes.com/ and made her chocolate cake recipe.. my oh my is it delish!! AND it has no eggs in it!! My husband was really impressed with both the taste and texture.. he said it kicks ass over the box mixes "it has a real homely taste to it" was his exact words icon_smile.gif I am now officially converted and can call myself a 'scratch baker'.. I like the sound of that and can't wait to add that to my website icon_smile.gif The only issue I did have.. (and it happens a bit more often than just the odd occasion for me) I ended up with the cake dipping in the middle.. hmmm *scratcheshead*

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:09pm
post #25 of 31

Thank you so much for posting the videos! I'm even more inspired to try ganache now!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:52pm
post #26 of 31

She makes it look so easy,thanks for posting.

CakemummyCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemummyCC Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:10am
post #27 of 31

Cutiepiecupcake, this may sound like a stupid question, but when she/others refrigerate the ganached cake overnight, would you cover it in cling film? my fridge sucks out all the moisture from everything...
thanks..

cutiepiecupcake Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 10:25am
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakemummyCC

Cutiepiecupcake, this may sound like a stupid question, but when she/others refrigerate the ganached cake overnight, would you cover it in cling film? my fridge sucks out all the moisture from everything...
thanks..

I can't recall ever refridgerating a ganached cake overnight.. I've placed them briefly in the fridge to harden a little if I'm trying to hurry the process along so I can cover with fondant.. I usually place my ganache covered cakes in my linen cupboard which has now been converted to a cake storage unit lol icon_wink.gif Sorry I could not be of more help.. but I do suggest you maybe contact Michelle on her blog site.. you will find the address in a previous post of mine on this same thread, I'm sure she would answer your question icon_smile.gif HTH

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 12:31pm
post #29 of 31

cutiepiecupcake,
Which of Michelle's chocolate cake recipes did you use? There are several posted on the website.
Thanks.

cutiepiecupcake Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:34pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

cutiepiecupcake,
Which of Michelle's chocolate cake recipes did you use? There are several posted on the website.
Thanks.

I used the base chocolate cake recipe.. I think the other chocolate cake recipes are altered versions of the original base cake. You'll find it here
http://inspired-by-chocolate-and-cakes.com/index.php?page=chocolate-cake just make sure you scroll down the page for the start of the recipe. I made the white chocolate version too.. it was lovely thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%