Charity Auction?

Lounge By maitej17 Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 12:22pm by cakegirl1973

maitej17 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 6

HI everyone,

There's a charity auction that will take place at my church to help out a family that has been dealing w/cancer and of course high medical bills. I would really like to contribute something to help this family out.
Do I make a physical cake and have that present at the auction? Do I make a "gift certificate" instead? if so what do I offer and should I place pictures of previous cakes so that they know the quality they are receiving?
Any ideas would be very helpful, the person who is dealing with the cancer was my choir director and a great person and I would really like to help the most I can.
Maite icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Moondance Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:56am
post #2 of 6

I would offer a cake voucher, with pictures of the kind of cakes you make for the value of the voucher - that way, the familiy can choose a cake they would enjoy eating and at a time to suit them HTH

Dani1081 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:28am
post #3 of 6

I had this situation a few months ago and made a voucher for a free cake. I included pictures on it to represent the value of the cake that the voucher covered, and in the body of the voucher I put specific information - the maximum value of the cake, the maximum number of servings or size of cake, thirty days notice to order, etc. I also put a dollar value for the voucher in the information section in case they wanted a larger or more ornate cake and they wanted to use the voucher towards the purchase price.

LKing12 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:41am
post #4 of 6

I have done it both ways. The first auction that I participated in was very close to Mother's Day. So I had two cakes appropriate for that celebration.

elliespartycake Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 6

I have also done it both ways. With the physical cake for auction any bidder would have to have an immediate need for that cake. With a voucher/gift certificate people will bid who might not have a cake need until sometime in the future. Have a photo or two to give them an idea of the type of cake the certificate will cover. I specify the size of the cake (i.e. 8" cake to serve 20, or 2 dozen cupcakes). I also give the value of the certificate ("value= up to $40) and of course an expiration date. My certificates expire by the end of the current year or 6 months from now (whichever is a longer time).
Good luck.

cakegirl1973 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 6

I did this a couple of weeks ago. I made an 8" cake and donated a gift certificate as a set "package" for the auction.

Quote by @%username% on %date%