Posting Pic But Somewhat Embarrassed

Decorating By LadyDi469 Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 8:47pm by LadyDi469

LadyDi469 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 28

Pic of my daughter's 19th brithday cake. This is what she wanted and she loved it but I've had comments leading to my dissappointment and doubting my abilities. Would love some helpful comments.

27 replies
carmijok Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 28

Don't know how you could have negative comments since you have no pictures posted.

momvarden Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 28

Carmijok, i think it means that the comments came from within the home!
But LadyDi, there are not any pics posted so we can not give u thumbs up or any help! Please post it i would love to see it.

Coral3 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:08am
post #4 of 28

If you want a photo to show up in your post, here's how:

First upload the photo into an online photo site like Photobucket (getting a photobucket account is easy and FREE) then just copy the photo's image code (IMG Code) from photobucket and paste it into your post. Then when you hit 'submit comment' the photo will display in the thread. Easy.

Photobucket is here: http://photobucket.com/

I'm pretty sure you can also use Flickr like this too - just look for the image code (IMG code) and copy and paste it.

LadyDi469 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:19am
post #5 of 28
cownsj Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:40am
post #6 of 28

I think he's adorable. The spikes on his back came out great and your coloring is good. There is something about the face that seems a little, hmmmmmm, not quite sure what it is, maybe more of an expression for a boy. A little bit harsh. That's not the right word, but the face could be a bit softer, but I'm not sure exactly what I would change on it. Trust me, there are almost no cakes we've done that we would't change something after the fact, and some that we did change because we weren't happy. No, don't doubt yourself.

Did your daughter love her cake? That is what is most important. When friends ask us to do cakes for their kids, or parents, we want them to like the cake, but we mostly care that the birthday recipient loves their cake.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:51am
post #7 of 28

I think it's really cute. What specifically did people not like about it? As far as appearance is concerned I don't see any issues. It looks like the cake was well executed and doesn't look sloppy or anything. I like it. Was it a taste issue or something we can't tell from a pic? Maybe people were just negative because they are jealous of your talents.

KASCARLETT Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:58am
post #8 of 28

I think it is adorable!! icon_biggrin.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:10am
post #9 of 28

He's super cute and agree your work is very clean. As for helpful hints I think if anything his face might be too perfectly round...maybe carve it down a bit but I think he's adorable.

cownsj Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:18am
post #10 of 28

I too am curious what comments anyone could have made. The longer you look at this guy the cuter he gets, so I can only imagine too that someone is jealous.

romansfamily Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:36am
post #11 of 28

you have to start somewhere. could they have done it better? i doubt it probably wouldn't have had the guts to try. This is how you learn and i think he looks good. keep your head up and just know you did your best!

cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:44am
post #12 of 28

I think he's seriously adorable.. I'm curious as to who could possible say negative comments to you about this lovely cake that you made for your daughters birthday?? I can't imagine anyone would have a reason to say something negative??

AngelCake27 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:15am
post #13 of 28

I think he's adorable!! My daughter would definitely love a cake like this except maybe a sleepy or sleeping dino... but super cute!! I love it!!

sweetaudrey Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:35am
post #14 of 28

I agree with above posts that the head could be just a bit more shaped...maybe give him a 'snout' lol. But honestly, this lil guy is adorable! I love the tail and the spikes going down the back. Plus,the color variation on his 'skin' from your icing is a very nice touch. Don't doubt yourself! It's obvious you are very good at carving and sculpting. Plus, we get better every time we make a cake. Good job! icon_lol.gif

carmijok Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:24am
post #15 of 28

I do think it's curious that a 19 year old girl would want a dinosaur cake...but hey...to each his own. I will say that it looks more like a cake for a small child...perhaps if you had smoothed the frosting instead of doing the star piping and maybe added some eyelashes to glam it up, it would have looked a bit more 'mature'. Did you carve it or was it a shaped pan? Kudos on the carving if it was! I am curious though why, since you've been a member since 2007, you've never posted any pictures on CC before...including this one! You'll get better feedback here than anywhere!

kc03 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:26am
post #16 of 28

I think he is super cute! My 17 yr old daughter wanted a dinosour for her bday and so away I went. When I was done she told me he looked like he had down syndrome! icon_surprised.gif He was my 1st attempt at 3 D cake...I had to laugh because he did look "off"....

LadyDi469 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:10pm
post #17 of 28

Thank you for the encouragement. To answer some of your questions: My daughter just loves animals and every year she tests my abilities, last year was a giraffe, and she always wants something someone her age wouldn't want and my 29-year old son requested a 3-D skull for his birthday cake. I used the Wilton "Meet Spike" cake idea along with the Wonder Mold pan that I already had. When it came to the face, my daughter didn't want a smiley face, she wanted her dinosaur to look "fierce", but comical.

I haven't posted any of my pics of my cakes because I don't feel they are as good as pics I've seen posted here. I'm still learning a lot. Most cakes here are done in fondant and I've only done a couple in fondant and I guess I'm just to critical of my own makings. Yes, any younger kid who saw the cake loved it, a lot of grown-ups too, although an Art teacher thought it was a frog.

My husband is probably my worst critic. He doesn't like buttercream, doesn't like me having the oven on all the time, especially during the summer and he thinks practicing is a waste of time. A cake like this one he refuses to eat. If a cake is decorated as this one, he says they aren't "edible" cakes, they're just to look at-so what's the point?! Old fashioned I guess. For him it's plain cake with canned frosting and that's all he will eat.

I've always wanted to make cakes, ever since I was a little girl. My weakness has always been wedding dresses (yes I make them too) and beautiful wedding cakes. I am disabled but have to keep my hands busy so I make many kinds of crafts, just trying to do something with the creativity energy and trying to learn cake decorating.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:24pm
post #18 of 28

You go girl!!! your cake is beautiful because it was made with love and that is more important than anything. It is a shame that your DH is not more enthusiastic about your baking - but there you go, maybe you can do your baking when he's watching the baseball or footie (UK soccer). thumbs_up.gif

03FLSTF Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:16pm
post #19 of 28

Ah, now were getting somewhere. Your cake is adorable, was made with love and lots of TLC. It sounds like the problem is an art teacher with no imagination and an unsupportive spouse icon_mad.gif . I recommend blowing off the art teacher; however, the hubbie is a more difficult matter. Does he have a hobby which gives him pleasure but others may find a waste of time and/or money? Golf, fishing, hunting, buying lots of tools, sitting on his rear and watching TV, smoking, drinking beer, etc? Im not saying these are a waste of time or money just illustrating that he may have an activity which gives him pleasure; however, he hasnt made the connection that cake decorating meets an equal need for you.

A) Each cake you make rather than buy from a bakery saves the household money.
B) The civilized world knows that canned icing is one of the most repulsive substances on earth. Its right up there with cheese thats squirted from a can.
C) Opinions are like (body part that we sit on), everybody has one and most of them stink. The only opinion that mattered for this cake is yours and your daughters. The rest can just kiss your backside icon_twisted.gif

Cakecentral is a place for us to post our art, REGARDLESS of skill level. Sometimes folks take a moment to leave a comment, but with such busy lives theyre more likely to just take a quick look. In any case, its fun to have a place to share our creativity with others who understand. Every now and then I check the number of times one of my cakes has been viewed, and my heart smiles if its more than 1.

Hugs from your fellow caker!

cupcake_cutie Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:35pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03FLSTF

Ah, now were getting somewhere. Your cake is adorable, was made with love and lots of TLC. It sounds like the problem is an art teacher with no imagination and an unsupportive spouse icon_mad.gif . I recommend blowing off the art teacher; however, the hubbie is a more difficult matter. Does he have a hobby which gives him pleasure but others may find a waste of time and/or money? Golf, fishing, hunting, buying lots of tools, sitting on his rear and watching TV, smoking, drinking beer, etc? Im not saying these are a waste of time or money just illustrating that he may have an activity which gives him pleasure; however, he hasnt made the connection that cake decorating meets an equal need for you.

A) Each cake you make rather than buy from a bakery saves the household money.
B) The civilized world knows that canned icing is one of the most repulsive substances on earth. Its right up there with cheese thats squirted from a can.
C) Opinions are like (body part that we sit on), everybody has one and most of them stink. The only opinion that mattered for this cake is yours and your daughters. The rest can just kiss your backside icon_twisted.gif

Cakecentral is a place for us to post our art, REGARDLESS of skill level. Sometimes folks take a moment to leave a comment, but with such busy lives theyre more likely to just take a quick look. In any case, its fun to have a place to share our creativity with others who understand. Every now and then I check the number of times one of my cakes has been viewed, and my heart smiles if its more than 1.

Hugs from your fellow caker!

thumbs_up.gif

cownsj Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:59pm
post #21 of 28

Post your pictures anyway, don't worry about your amount of experience. I can't tell you how many times I'm looking for an idea and scanning through photos on here to get them. It's not the quality of work that will prompt an idea, it's the design idea. Sometimes I 'll see something that has nothing at all to do with what I'm trying to do, but it will prompt that idea for me anyway.
I also think it will give you more confidence if you are spreading your wings out for others to see. I think it's wonderful that your daughter challenges you like that. Good for her.

cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:14pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Post your pictures anyway, don't worry about your amount of experience. I can't tell you how many times I'm looking for an idea and scanning through photos on here to get them. It's not the quality of work that will prompt an idea, it's the design idea. Sometimes I 'll see something that has nothing at all to do with what I'm trying to do, but it will prompt that idea for me anyway.
I also think it will give you more confidence if you are spreading your wings out for others to see. I think it's wonderful that your daughter challenges you like that. Good for her.

I completely agree! Some of my saved favorite photos from this site aren't the ones that are technically perfect..but I just love their unique style or creativity.
And plus.. Yes there are some amazingly talented people on here.. But theres also tons of people just like you and me who are just learning.. Were all here to help each other. Post your pics! I bet they are lovely.

Sorelle Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:38pm
post #23 of 28

This little guy made me smile, I think its cute. I do think larger pupils would soften up his expression.

carmijok Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:03pm
post #24 of 28

Well, your hubby doesn't have to eat the cake then! Let others enjoy it! And don't be afraid to post your pics, or to ask for advice. I've learned more here just reading the forums and looking at tutorials. I don't make a lot of cakes...but I so enjoy it. And with each one I get a little more confident in my abilities. They are not as good as so many that I see on here, but I've had my successes, and more important, the people who received them loved them! As long as your cakes taste awesome (NO CANNED FROSTING!), who cares if they aren't perfect. Just keep doing them!

Practice by making cakes for your neighbors or to donate to a nursing home. They don't all have to be carved masterpieces! Try doing beautiful layer cakes with polka dots and flowers and bows. Then graduate to a small tiered cake. There's tons of tutorials on YouTube that can walk you through the steps...not to mention the advice here. And post your pics!

What support you are lacking at home you will find here. Just don't be afraid you're not good enough! It's just cake...HAVE FUN!!

Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:26pm
post #25 of 28

I just showed the pic of your cake to my 22 yo daughter, and she thinks it's awesome! She said it's got just the right amount of "playful goofiness" that makes it appealing to someone her age.

As for your DH-- well, he needs a little attitude adjustment. icon_razz.gif

Edit: Oh, and I like your cake too!!! icon_smile.gif

miss_sweetstory Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:30pm
post #26 of 28

I think he's great! But you know what? What I think doesn't matter... your daughter loved her cake and that's what matters.

As for the hubby, just say (or think), "No cake for you!" and carry on doing what you love.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

EvArt Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:40pm
post #27 of 28

LadyDi, I have to admit I thought it was an iguana. lol Regardless, he's way cute. And if that is what your daughter asked for and she loved her cake, that's all that matters. You did great.

I am also self taught, although fortunately, my hubby likes to get involved and loves my creativity. He just won't let me take any classes because of the natural abilities he sees no reason. :^/ I post my pics and I welcome the comments. I love the encouragement that I receive here from fellow cakers of all abilities and levels of know how. I encourage you to share your cake photos, please!! Especially if you are not receiving support and encouragement from significant others at home. Whenever I need a question answered or advice on how to do or approach something, I always turn to CC for support and lessons from more experienced cakers.

Happy Baking

LadyDi469 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:47pm
post #28 of 28

All your comments made me feel warm and welcome. Hugs to all of you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%