Starting A Cake Business...

Business By bakencake Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 1:46am by Tea42

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 9

I'm not being lazy, i promise. I have looked all over (search and articles) and even in google for a post about starting a cake business. I found some but the ones im looking for are the ones that give you the hard facts about how many hours you truly work, how much invested and how long it took for profit to roll in if any. Thinking about starting a cupcake business but would like to know hard facts and be ready for everything that's bound to come up.
than you so much!!!

8 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 9

ps. im in texas any help would be appreciated!!!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:52am
post #3 of 9

That's kind of like asking, "I wanna throw a party. How much will it cost?" WAAAAYYYYY too many variables for anyone to really answer for you.

You probably want to break it down, and research each section separately:

1. Kitchen/ location/ rent- $3,000 in Austin, $300 in VanHorn, for example.
2. Build out/ equipment/ supplies- are you working with a huge Hobart mixer, or planning on a KitchenAid? What does your county require for food handling? Grease traps, sinks and overpriced ventilation?
3. Health Department/ Food handling certifications / inspections and the legal red tape that starts
4. IRS/ DBA/ accounting/ payroll/ insurance
5. Advertising/ client base
6. Recipes/ product development
7. Suppliers and wholesalers

I bet you know Texas doesn't have cottage food laws, so you need a "real" (read inspected) kitchen from day one. Every section described above has "sub" category nightmares I have read here on CC. Read EVERY post in the business section... it is amazing.

I guess you have no answers not because people are rude, but that the question is too general. If you ask, "I need a great cake____" you may not get answers, but ask for a "great oreo cake" and people can wrap their mind around it.

Good Luck!

mommy1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy1st Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 10:25am
post #4 of 9

I hace been looking into starting a small bakery also. I can tell you that starting out depending on the size and what you plan on offering (product everyday, or by order only) expect to put in 50+hrs a week. When you are just starting, the more you can do yourself instead of paying someone else to do it, the sooner you start making a profit. Check out your area, see what the competition is offering, what their prices are, even go check them out. You want to be able to offer a good quality product everytime, come up with something the competition doesn't do, or provide. It will give you an edge. Good luck.

miasmom82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasmom82 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:24am
post #5 of 9

I am like everyone else I want to start a business too. I am thinking about doing on line only and sticking to cupcakes only for now. Maybe expanding years from now. I let trying to figure things out consume me. I don't know where to start or even where to start looking. I have been just doing the perfecting of the cupcakes right now. I am going to gain 20 lbs just doing this. I also struggling with to use buttercream or something light and fluffier. Or at least figure how to cut down on the sweetnees of the buttercream. My cupcakes are too sweet. Love to hear some tips too

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmom82

I am like everyone else I want to start a business too. I am thinking about doing on line only and sticking to cupcakes only for now. Maybe expanding years from now. I let trying to figure things out consume me. I don't know where to start or even where to start looking. I have been just doing the perfecting of the cupcakes right now. I am going to gain 20 lbs just doing this. I also struggling with to use buttercream or something light and fluffier. Or at least figure how to cut down on the sweetnees of the buttercream. My cupcakes are too sweet. Love to hear some tips too

When selling online please make sure you're aware of the government regulations for shipping over state lines. You get into a lot more rules and regulation with interstate shipping. It is similiar to selling wholesale to other companies for them to resell your product.

artee37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artee37 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 9

To start make sure the name u are planning on using isn't already taken. Their is a site called Legalzoom.com that can help with alot of the legal paper work for a fee. There r different packages to choose from. But u will still have to contact ur department of agriculture for any special license u may still need. hope this helps.

miasmom82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasmom82 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:04am
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone. I am not planning on shiping over statelines. Just doing small deliveries around STL. Thinking that might be easiericon_smile.gif

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:46am
post #9 of 9

Check with you county for a small business development group. Many areas have these available for residents; also check at nearby colleges and universities for help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%