Sell Cakes From Ca Home?

Decorating By loverlyflower Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 6:32pm by Gerle

loverlyflower Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new to California and cake decorating. I love making cakes, but need a way to legally sell them from home (without renting or building another kitchen). I don't plan on living in my home for too long and can't illegally do this since I have 3 cops/sheriffs living on my street who really crack down on the neighborhood. I can't rent a kitchen because I have two small children to watch (can't afford daycare).

Please help! Thank you!

4 replies
3GCakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:10am
post #2 of 5

You will want to check with state and local laws...but the answer is basically that you cannot do it

I know that is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth (for now) in California.

jason_kraft Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:14am
post #3 of 5

Your best bet would be to rent a commercial kitchen and bake at night (or any other time someone else in your family can watch the kids).

JanH Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 5

Moving to the Cake Decorating forum.

Gerle Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 5

I wish!!! I've lived in CA most all of my life and love baking. Just this past year I've gotten into decorating cakes, cookies and cupcakes, but can't do it from my home for profit. I'm a hobby baker and do it for friends and relatives, so it is usually part of a "gift" for them for birthdays and such. Maybe if there are enough of us that could organize well, we could try to get a cottage law in CA....but with all their rules and laws, I have a feeling it would be a long, hard fought battle that we wouldn't win. I've often thought of renting a commercial kitchen, but I'm not sure I want to take the fun out of my "hobby" and I'm too old to start a new profession that will keep me tied down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%